Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA

tag
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

AAoA

My average age of accounts in 3 years 6 months. Is there a threshold (say 4 years) that once I pass my score will jump up? 

My most recent new card is 1 year four months. Is there a threshold (say 18 months) that once I pass my score will jump up?

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
18 REPLIES 18
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

Re: AAoA

There isn't one that I have seen or read about....but I am sure it exists but it may (like a lot of thing) be profile specific.

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditSage wrote:

My average age of accounts in 3 years 6 months. Is there a threshold (say 4 years) that once I pass my score will jump up? 

My most recent new card is 1 year four months. Is there a threshold (say 18 months) that once I pass my score will jump up?

AAoA thresholds aren't well documented, but there are some data points out there that show gains at the mid-point of years.  Did you see an increase when you reached 42 months?  Whether or not there are gains at 12 month increments isn't well known, but any AAoA threshold crossed under most circumstances only results in a small gain of (say) 4-5 points.

As for a recent new card, what matters is your most recent account, which points to your AoYA.  An AoYA move from 11 months to 12 months often results in a score gain of 15-20 points or so, definitely the greatest AoYA related gain one can see.  There is not a known threshold at 18 months for AoYA and some people (myself included) didn't even see a single Fico point in going from 23 months --> 24 months.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBS, You say you didn't see any points going from 23-24 months, does this include the '98 and '04 versions? And version 9?
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
BBS, You say you didn't see any points going from 23-24 months, does this include the '98 and '04 versions? And version 9?

It included all 28 of the Fico scores provided through this site.  Not a single point gained on any of those 28 scores.

Message 5 of 19
Dervrak
Valued Member

What really is considered a good AAoA?

My AAoA has been hovering at the four year mark for going on five years now because I typically will open 1 or 2 new accounts a year (one credit card and maybe a car loan or something).  I've also closed some of my 8-10 year old "junk" cards like Credit One and Target which hit my AAoA hard as well .

However, If there is any impact to my credit it seems very minimal as my credit score is 763 and I haven't had any trouble getting new lines of credit (recently got a BBVA Compass with a $10k CL) as well as a mortgage without an issue.

Message 6 of 19
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@Dervrak wrote:

What really is considered a good AAoA?

My AAoA has been hovering at the four year mark for going on five years now because I typically will open 1 or 2 new accounts a year (one credit card and maybe a car loan or something).  I've also closed some of my 8-10 year old "junk" cards like Credit One and Target which hit my AAoA hard as well .

However, If there is any impact to my credit it seems very minimal as my credit score is 763 and I haven't had any trouble getting new lines of credit (recently got a BBVA Compass with a $10k CL) as well as a mortgage without an issue.

No. Closing your "junk" cards is not having an immediate effect on your AAoA.

Your Average Age of Accounts includes your closed accounts for as long as they remain reported and reportable prior to exclusion.  For accounts in good standing, that is typically 10 years.  Closing an account in good standing that you are the account owner for will NOT have a negative immediate effect on your Average Age of Accounts (nor your age of oldest account for that matter).

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BBS D@mn!
Message 8 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CreditSage wrote:

I was under the impression that 3 yrs 6 mos is a threshold.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@BBS D@mn!

Surprised I didn't receive any gains?  I was too, honestly, but it is what it is. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.