Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU Questions...

tag
tbque
Valued Contributor

AU Questions...

I’m an AU on three of DW cards a NFCU, Am Ex Gold and CapOne all are about 3 years old and maxed out. How much are they hurting me when it comes to utilization? Should I have her take me off as I’m trying to increase my scores to refi my car and get unsecured cards.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: AU Questions...

Do you have any accounts of your own? And if so what are the ages/balances?

Maxed out cards have a high impact on credit scoring.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 11
tbque
Valued Contributor

All the cards in my signature are mine. They are all secured cards, the total CL for them are $1,750. They are all almost 4 years old and I’m at about 57% utilization on them but paying them off one by one each pay. With the AU cards I think I’m at 94% utilization total.

Message 3 of 11
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Well you have the age with your cards, I would get your utlization down and if your wife's cards can't be paid down, you might want to remove yourself, but I will let others chime in in regards to that.

Do you have any negatives, your scores seem to indicate you may?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 11
DollyLama
Established Contributor

From my point of view, her cards are doing nothing for you, actually dragging your scores. None of hers are older cards by any age, and to make that count, would need to be several years older. 

Her utilization, is also dragging down your scores. Unless she paid way down quickly on all accounts, and yours a bit more <28.9% utilization, you will most likely be denied for any new credit. 

Reduce your utilization, remove yourself as AU on all her cards. Keep low and timely payments on yours, Discover will eventually graduate to unsecured. From what I see you just let your accounts age, and prove good utilization and payment history. Within a year of your youngest, your file will improve considerably. Apply for none in the meantime. 

If you have any derogs, late payments, collections, chargeoffs, those accounts are what you need to focus on during this year time length. 

Message 5 of 11
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

If all your cards are 4 years old, you don’t need to be an AU anymore. They’re absolutely hurting your scores. Have yourself removed and work on getting your own utilization down. Your scores should start going up and hopefully you can get your cards unsecured.

Message 6 of 11
tbque
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the advice, that is the plan.

Message 7 of 11
tbque
Valued Contributor

Yes, delinquent on my mortgage and a few charge offs I’m working to get deleted.

Message 8 of 11
tbque
Valued Contributor

Thanks, yes delinquent on my mortgage and a few old charge offs I’m working on getting deleted.

Message 9 of 11
tbque
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the sound advice. I’m working on the derogs now.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.