cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Utilization Will it effect or make a difference?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Utilization Will it effect or make a difference?

I have a few questions hoping to get some help. 

1) My American Express Blue had a $9,000 credit limit and was just increased to $27,000 a couple days ago. Each month I pay the entire balance off. This month I was going to leave $1,300 on the balance. When this reports will this hurt my credit utilization in general toward my entire credit profile? Right now I'm using a total of 26% of all my credit that is at $100,000. I also had an increasement from Discover that has added another $3,000 total $21,000 extra toward my credit profile which will be $121,000 once the increasements hit.

2) What is strange I had a 697 with Experian the date of my Amex and Discover CLI's. The very next morning my credit dropped 11 points due to a credit card that was accidentally maxed out at $300 (wife used) and two other accounts that increased a total of $954. I don't understand the drop when my entire credit to debit ratio is just 26%. Nothing negative on my report other than maxing out the one $300 card.

3) Will the $21,000 increasement bump my fico score up or it won't really matter?

Maybe someone knows the answer to at least one of the questions above? Thanks so much everyone for reading. I just don't undersand how my credit was climbing and out of nowhere an 11 point drop.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Utilization Will it effect or make a difference?

My comments in blue below.

@Anonymous wrote:

1) My American Express Blue had a $9,000 credit limit and was just increased to $27,000 a couple days ago. Each month I pay the entire balance off. This month I was going to leave $1,300 on the balance. When this reports will this hurt my credit utilization in general toward my entire credit profile? Right now I'm using a total of 26% of all my credit that is at $100,000. I also had an increasement from Discover that has added another $3,000 total $21,000 extra toward my credit profile which will be $121,000 once the increasements hit.

I have never heard of an Amex card called the Silver.  I just went to the Amex home site and could not find it there either.

Some Amex cards are known as "charge" cards and these do not count toward your utilization in FICO 8 or FICO 9.  That means the balance on the card does not count toward your total CC debt, nor is there a credit limit that counts toward your total credit limit.

It's hard to know if your card is a charge card or credit card since I can't find it listed on that Amex page.  But for understanding its utilization impact you'll definitely want to know if it is a charge card or not.

2) What is strange I had a 697 with Experian the date of my Amex and Discover CLI's. The very next morning my credit dropped 11 points due to a credit card that was accidentally maxed out at $300 (wife used) and two other accounts that increased a total of $954. I don't understand the drop when my entire credit to debit ratio is just 26%. Nothing negative on my report other than maxing out the one $300 card.

FICO cares about total utilization -- that's where you add all your credit limits together.  But it also cares about individual utilization -- which is where each card and its limit is considered by itself.  Your individual util on one card went to over 88.9%.  There is a substantial penalty for that.

3) Will the $21,000 increasement bump my fico score up or it won't really matter?

See what I said earlier about charge cards.  You need to find out whether that Amex card is a charge card or not.

Maybe someone knows the answer to at least one of the questions above? Thanks so much everyone for reading. I just don't undersand how my credit was climbing and out of nowhere an 11 point drop.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have never heard of an Amex card called the Silver.  I just went to the Amex home site and could not find it there either.

Some Amex cards are known as "charge" cards and these do not count toward your utilization in FICO 8 or FICO 9.  That means the balance on the card does not count toward your total CC debt, nor is there a credit limit that counts toward your total credit limit.

It's hard to know if your card is a charge card or credit card since I can't find it listed on that Amex page.  But for understanding its utilization impact you'll definitely want to know if it is a charge card or not.

FICO cares about total utilization -- that's where you add all your credit limits together.  But it also cares about individual utilization -- which is where each card and its limit is considered by itself.  Your individual util on one card went to over 88.9%.  There is a substantial penalty for that.

See what I said earlier about charge cards.  You need to find out whether that Amex card is a charge card or not.

I apologize it is a blue Amex charge card. And.. thank you so much for the response! Big mistake on the $300 max out on my very first credit card. Dang what a mess. Now I have to wait for it to revolve around.

Considering the Amex Blue card is a charge with a new limit from $9,000 to $27,000 will this help increase my credit scrore at all. I left $1,300 on the blance this time and was hoping this wouldn't hurt me.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Considering the Amex Blue card is a charge with a new limit from $9,000 to $27,000 will this help increase my credit scrore at all. I left $1,300 on the blance this time and was hoping this wouldn't hurt me.

The card you are describing as a blue card is not one of the three charge cards I have heard of.  Those three cards are the Green, the Gold, and the Platinum.

https://www.creditcardinsider.com/credit-cards/american-express/

There are several cards that Amex makes that are colored blue or which have the word "blue"  somewhere in their name:

* Blue Cash Everyday

* Blue Cash Prefered

* Cash Magnet

* Blue Delta Skymiles

* Hilton Honors (three versions)

Is your card one of those?  If so, which one?

Message 4 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I apologize it is a blue Amex charge card. And.. thank you so much for the response! Big mistake on the $300 max out on my very first credit card. Dang what a mess. Now I have to wait for it to revolve around.

I'm sorry, I can't figure out what you're referring to.

1. I don't know what an Amex blue charge card is.

2. Amex charge cards don't have credit limits, so you don't have a charge card, you probably have an Amex credit card.

3. If you give us a more precise and correct description of what you're talking about, then maybe we can answer your questions.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is called the Blue Cash Preferred... My apologies. Also, in regards to the $300 maxed out card that hit my credit that dropped me 11 points, I assume I have to wait until it cycles again to have the 11 points added back? I have since just paid the $300 limit card off and placed it in the safe never to use!

I also just put $3,000 toward credit cards in hopes that it will help raise my credit score. And between the $21,000 increasements between Amex and Discover I hope that helps. Man I feel like an idiot.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is the Blue Cash Prefered. Again, my apologies for not being more accurate.

Message 7 of 14
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I also just put $3,000 toward credit cards in hopes that it will help raise my credit score. And between the $21,000 increasements between Amex and Discover I hope that helps. Man I feel like an idiot.

Unless you are going for a mortgage, car loan, or something big, what's the big deal? Your score will rebound next month when the $300 is paid.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 8 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1) My American Express Blue [Cash Preferred credit card] had a $9,000 credit limit and was just increased to $27,000 a couple days ago. Each month I pay the entire balance off. This month I was going to leave $1,300 on the balance. When this reports will this hurt my credit utilization in general toward my entire credit profile?

No it won't

Right now I'm using a total of 26% of all my credit that is at $100,000. I also had an increasement from Discover that has added another $3,000 total $21,000 extra toward my credit profile which will be $121,000 once the increasements hit.

No it won't matter

The 11 point drop wasn't out of nowhere.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exaclty! I am or was in the process of a Morgage loan and I'll place this on hold until next month. I was at a 697 and now a 686 with Experian. Thus the stress. Lesson learned for darn sure! I assumed with the $21,000 credit increasment that it would bump my score up but I guess not. Over a dang $300 credit card caused me a problem.
@FlaDude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless you are going for a mortgage, car loan, or something big, what's the big deal? Your score will rebound next month when the $300 is paid.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.