Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account balance decrease has had a strange effect on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account balance decrease has had a strange effect on credit report

Last month I decided to pay down a chunk of debt on a credit card to improve my utilization score,

Normally it's around $5000 so 10% utilization - I paid it down to $2500 to ensure it was under 10%

so equifax improved from 680 to 733 - Transunion stayed the same - Experian declined 683 to 630

These scores changed as soon as I got a notification regarding the improved utilization

I presume experian should have increased my score or am I wrong? if so is there a way to get them to take a look at the data again?

18 REPLIES 18
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Account balance decrease has had a strange effect on credit report

Score updates aren't always directly correlated to the report updates. Something else happened on your EX file. I would look over it closely.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for repling 

Nothing change in April according to experian - the last thing to change before the big drop was credit usage increase on my discover card in March 10th

Message 3 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for repling 

Nothing change in April according to experian - the last thing to change before the big drop was credit usage increase on my discover card in March 10th

Credit usage going up, depending on the amount, can cause large drops like that.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 19
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

What are your sources for your scores, what was the date of the notification that your utilization had improved on EX, and what was the date of your next most recent score pull for EX on that service?

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your sources for your scores - myfico

what was the date of the notification that your utilization had improved on EX - 5/7/21

what was the date of your next most recent score pull for EX on that service - 4/29/21

Message 6 of 19
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What are your sources for your scores - myfico

what was the date of the notification that your utilization had improved on EX - 5/7/21

what was the date of your next most recent score pull for EX on that service - 4/29/21

What is the age of your oldest reporting account, closed or open, on EX, and is that account also on your TU and EQ reports?

Message 7 of 19
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous The same thing happened to me with EX -and- there's a 47 point difference than my TU/EQ scores. After I completely compared all 3 CRs, I determined that EX purged a positive trade line . . . I called and was told that all positive "transferred/closed" trade lines are purged after 5 years. I have never heard that before and am currently trying to confirm that information. EX did purge the CO for BoA that was scheduled to delete in 11/2022 . . . so I'm not going to make a huge stink out of it because my EX file is no longer "dirty" . . . pick my battles, right?

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to myfico it is 53rd they say 2018 but the account was opened in 2015 it was a credit card and I was a authorized user.

yes it is on all three 

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like I am battling the system with every update!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.