Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding spouses as AU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding spouses as AU

If I have a credit card that I keep at zero blance and add my spouse as an AU in this case would that generally help her credit score?  Of course that answer would then reciprocate.  We are both trying to boost our scores a few points and since we keep finances separate his may help.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Re: Adding spouses as AU

It's not going to help or hurt your score at all.  Depending on your spouse's credit report, it could help or hurt.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're looking for an AU card to benefit your credit score, the only way I can think it would do that is if your spouse's expenses, which would otherwise not be paid by you, are put on an AU card and your spouse paying you back (assuming seperate finances).  Higher spend may trigger higher CLs in the future and boost your score. But using a mobile wallet like Samsung Pay or Apple Pay can eliminate the need for an AU card because you can put your own card on his/her phone. 

Now if your talking about boosting your spouse's credit score, then yes, go with a AU.

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

If she adds me as an AU and has a zero balance it won't help my score?

Message 4 of 24
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it generally benefical to your credit score to add your spouse as an AU all major credit cards as long as those cards are kept a $0 each billing cycle?

In and of itself it is a neutral activity insofar as your credit score, it may benefit or hurt your spouse' scores depending on how well currently manage the account.  How well you continue to manage the account moving forward including usage and payment history will have a direct impact on both your scores. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 24
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on a number of factors including how old the account is when compared to the rest of your credit history.

It could have a minor negative effect on your scores if all cards listing you as an AU are reporting a 0 balance. 

One thing to keep in mind is if a primary motivation for being added as an AU is to boost your score that issuers tend to strip out AU accounts as part of the evaulation process.  Since the AU bears no responsibiltiy toward payment of the account it is of reduced relevance in determining your personal credit risk. 

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will fix the orignal question.

If I have a credit card that I keep at zero blance and add my spouse as an AU in this case would that generally help her credit score?  Of course that answer would then reciprocate.  We are both trying to boost our scores a few points and since we keep finances separate his may help.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is if a primary motivation for being added as an AU is to boost your score that issuers tend to strip out AU accounts as part of the evaulation process.  

So this is where I am confused.  So the credit bureaus themselves will strip this out?

Message 8 of 24
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is if a primary motivation for being added as an AU is to boost your score that issuers tend to strip out AU accounts as part of the evaulation process.  

So this is where I am confused.  So the credit bureaus themselves will strip this out?

No, it will be reported as an account with you listed as an authorized user.  When your report is pulled the (potential) creditor will see the account and that you are an AU.    

The creditor will decide if and how that account will count toward assessing your creditworthiness. 

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, it will be reported as an account with you listed as an authorized user.  When your report is pulled the (potential) creditor will see the account and that you are an AU.    

The creditor will decide if and how that account will count toward assessing your creditworthiness. 

Ok thanks.  My question was just about the score.  

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.