Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Credit Card Holders

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Additional Credit Card Holders

Hi there,

I was wondering regarding the effect on your credit when you are an additional credit card holder on the same account.

My sister and I have a similar credit score of around 800 - if we add each other as an additional credit card holder on one of our credit cards, especially the longest standing one, would it improve both of our credit scores as long as the credit cards are managed correctly?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Additional Credit Card Holders

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there,

I was wondering regarding the effect on your credit when you are an additional credit card holder on the same account.

My sister and I have a similar credit score of around 800 - if we add each other as an additional credit card holder on one of our credit cards, especially the longest standing one, would it improve both of our credit scores as long as the credit cards are managed correctly?

You'd have to weigh the impact to CC util. If the utilization on this CC is higher than the util on your other CCs, then you can potentially take a loss. Conversely, if it improves your util, then you stand to see a gain. The other to weigh is the age of the account. Obviously it is impossible for the oldest card for each of you to improve both of your overall length of history because one of the two CCs would be younger for one of you, but if either card  is older than your AAoA then you should be OK.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.

That status with the cards is the following:

1) My credit card is 11 years old, my sister's is just a few months old. We have a similar credit score but she was banned from getting a credit card for 10 years because she went bankrupt, and she finally was able to get a credit card again because the ban was lifted recently.

2) Regarding the utilization - it is hard to say, but I believe that her utilization will be higher than mine, although I don't know if it will be above 30% regulary for either of us (perhaps only once in a while).

What do you think based on these facotrs?

Message 3 of 8
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

That status with the cards is the following:

1) My credit card is 11 years old, my sister's is just a few months old. We have a similar credit score but she was banned from getting a credit card for 10 years because she went bankrupt, and she finally was able to get a credit card again because the ban was lifted recently.

2) Regarding the utilization - it is hard to say, but I believe that her utilization will be higher than mine, although I don't know if it will be above 30% regulary for either of us (perhaps only once in a while).

What do you think based on these facotrs?

Based on these I'd be very suprised if you both had credit scores around 800 as you mentioned earlier.  Are those scores real FICO ones?  If indeed they are, I wouldn't mess with it at all.  It is better to have utilization on only one card, and then only 5% or so of your total credit available.  If each of you are posting balances on your own cards, it may have a detrimental effect.  With a 30% balance, it will have a major impact.

Her card will hurt your score, as it will lower your AAOA, and make it look like you have new credit.  Yours could potentially help her, as long as you aren't carrying a balance.  Again, I recommend getting your true fico scores, because post bankruptcy with only one new card is very unlikely to be above 800.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score is 801 based on this MyFICO website, she checked hers somewhere else so maybe I will tell her to check on this website as well.

Maybe you are right, maybe it is better to just not touch them just in case.

Message 5 of 8
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My score is 801 based on this MyFICO website, she checked hers somewhere else so maybe I will tell her to check on this website as well.

If your Fico scores are 801 based on this site, you definitely don't want to do anything to mess with it.  Did you check just one, or all 3?

Message 6 of 8
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@p- wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If your Fico scores are 801 based on this site, you definitely don't want to do anything to mess with it.  Did you check just one, or all 3?

you can only check eq and tu on here. 

the only place you can get an ex fico is through lender pull or psecu.

x2 if your scores on here are 800+ i would keep doing what you have been. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My FICO score is 801 based on the free 10 day trial through the My FICO website, I haven't checked the FICO score for each credit bureau independently.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.