cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After two years, finally out of debt. 3% utilization. Score changes.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

After two years, finally out of debt. 3% utilization. Score changes.

(UPDATE ON PAGE 2 with improved scores for November) I've been waiting with almost breathless anticipation for this day. I knew I had money coming in (an inheritance), but it took a while to get it. I've had my funds for a month now and have paid off all debts. I still have a small amount of utilization from regular credit card use but everything is paid off in time with no interest charges.

FICO SCORE HISTORY:

In November 2018, I had a credit meltdown. 90-day-late on one of my cards, with an immense, massive balance. This first score (in mid 500s) is when this debt, 100% util, and the 90-day-late were fresh. 

In late 2018, I was able to "settle for less than full amount" which lowered the amount of debt and my score went up about 70 points. Utilization was still very high. Then my score has been on a slow, gradual crawl upwards for almost two years.

The second set of numbers, from earlier this month, was after one of my debts posted as paid and util went to 13%. I now have 11 credit cards (and plenty of inquiries, but not a ton considering). No more "baddies" since my meltdown in late 2018. 

First set of numbers: Util 100%. Second set of numbers: Util at 13%.First set of numbers: Util 100%. Second set of numbers: Util at 13%.

I expected that I'd see a higher jump in numbers when my util went from 40% (where it's been for a while) to under 30%, but the point gain was 6 points on Experian, 9 points for EQ, and 5 points for TU. Go figure.

FICO-score-40-percent.jpg

A few days earlier, when util was at 40%. 

I have had a few inquiries fall off for TU, but those point gains posted a few days earlier. I really don't think anything else has changed other than util and this is all the point gain I got.

Yeah, it's kind of underwhelming.

FICO-experian-3-percent.jpg

And this is today's score for Experian, when the final "big" debt posted as paid off. I went from 12% to 3%. No points gained.

I know there's more to it than just aggregate util, but I found this interesting. And yeah, a little deflated because I thought going from 40% to 3% would give me more than this. 

Anyway, I'm still incredibly happy to not be in debt anymore. My money is in high-interest savings accounts and I'm keeping close tabs on my spending. It's a lot of money for someone like me (who is a low-income earner) and I don't want to blow it!

Thank you so much to all the wonderful people at MyFICO for your good advice. I spared myself a lot of wasted inquiries and horrible predatory credit cards because of you. Thanks so much!

My credit journey is not over, of course! I wonder what will happen when my "baddie" is over two years old. I'm happy gardening for now, though.

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: After two years, finally out of debt. 3% utilization. Score changes.

Awesome work! Looking real close to breaking the 700's!

Message 2 of 17
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Major kudos to you!! You kept chipping away at that debt, without giving up. I'm sorry for your loss, but that inheritance was meant to improve your life, and that's what it did.

Continued success on rebuild!! 👍🏻 

Message 3 of 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your success!

Message 4 of 17
Trudy
Valued Contributor

You made it!  Seems like lessons learned, blessings in disguise and hard work.  Breathe.  Great job and continued success.  Waiting to see your post on "joining the 700 club". Smiley Wink

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 5 of 17
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Congrats on what you've done so far! Unfortunately, the 90 day late and what looks like a charge off will just need to age at a speed that rivals watching paint dry, but eventually they'll be gone. Many of us have been in the same boat, my last late finally dropped of a few months ago and it felt good!

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 6 of 17
calyx
Super Contributor

Huge congrats!   

I know it's not as much gained on FICO as you would like, but you have made a tremendous amount of progress and the gains in your financial health and general credit profile (beyond your score) is greater than those numbers can say.

I would be super proud for all of your progress if I were you.  Being out of debt and at low util is awesome and freeing.    Honestly, I'm one of those that made huge gains (way more than I expected), but the sense of relief as I got my finances and profile under my control was greater than any pride I could take in numbers.      You're awesome, and you'll keep gaining.  You've learned lots of important information and habits and your score/profile/finances will continue to improve.  

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 7 of 17
AZ-Jeff
New Contributor

Congratulations to you! I also know what it felt like to be swimming in credit card debt. But it's an awesome feeling to not be under the thumb of credit card debt anymore.  Your credit score will only improve but shouldn't be your main focus. You've made an incredible accomplishment so focus on that Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 17
Ontherise2020
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! Your hard work is paying off!! 

FICO Scores:
EX 715
TU 750
EQ 739
FICO 9 773
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is fantastic to read. I remember when you started posting and your profile was a mess. I know this payout has been coming and I've been eager to see what your results would be. I know it's a little deflating to not get as many points as you'd hoped, but look how much your scores have improved. It's that 90-late that's holding them at this point. Scores will continue to climb over time and the day will come when it drops and when it does, your scores will go through the roof! But they don't need to - where you are now, a lot of opportunities are going to be opening to you very soon. Trust me, the hard part is done. You made it Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.