Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Zero Penalty to AZEO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

All Zero Penalty to AZEO

Many of you here already know the impact on scores when utilization reports 0% to CB’s. This thread shares my recent experience and the penalty for letting my CR’s reflect “zero usage.”

For awhile now I’ve been using the AZEO (all zero except one) method, meaning I let only one of my CC’s report a balance less than 28.9% of the card limit (individual) and less then 8.9% of my overall limit (aggregate) when statement cuts and have the rest of my accounts report zero. Whether or not you use the AZEO strategy, keep in mind those individual and aggregate utilization thresholds aforementioned as it may help improve your scores if below them.

I’ve noticed that this AZEO method works for me, but generally is not needed unless you are in the works of seeking new credit, a mortgage or loan.

Recently, my CR’s reflected 0% utilization due to the account being rotated with utilization was last to report among all my cards. Thus, dropping my scores for a short period of time until the account that reflected a balance finally reported.

Prior to this change, the card I was letting report reflected a 3% individual utilization and less than 1% aggregate making a 3% individual dip and minute aggregate decrease.

I was penalized by all 3 Bureau’s, EQ, TU, EX dropping my scores -20, -16, -14 respectively. When my account with a balance (a 3% individual utilization too) finally reported, my scores increased EQ (+23), TU (+16), EX (+16)

Note that points may differ depending on profile type. I have a clean, but thin profile with only a couple years of history.

Using AZEO does not mean you are only using one card per statement period. You can use as many cards you like as long as you pay them down to zero before statement cut, except for one. Hence why I put zero usage in quotation at the end of the first paragraph.

TLDR: As a result of letting util report 0%, my scores declined -20, -16, -14 for EQ, TU, EX respectively. Then scores inclined EQ (+23), TU (+16), EX (+16) when a 3% utilization (individual) and less than 1% aggregate. The exact utilization’s for which was reflected prior to the 0% report.

73 REPLIES 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: All Zero Penalty to AZEO

Nice post, @angelwingz!

Now I'm curious about the difference in before/after EQ/EX 8 scores - +3 and +2.

Specifically because the aging values between reports would have all been the same.

Message 2 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not too sure. Everything on my CR's are the same. I found that interesting as well. Could it be possible that its because 2 of my accounts aged to 2yrs, 6mo?

Message 3 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not too sure. Everything on my CR's are the same. I found that interesting as well. Could it be possible that its because 2 of my accounts aged to 2yrs, 6mo?

Did you see all those changes via your myFICO subscription alerts this month? (I have had FICO Premier for over a year now.)

The aging would have happened on 02/01, and be reflected in the first drops. I have seen a few TU alerts due to aging alone, but not with EQ/EX.

Message 4 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have MyFico 3B subscription. 

And your right, I totally forgot ages count on the first day of a new month.

Message 5 of 74
AllZero
Mega Contributor

When you reached 2 years AAoA, did you notice any change on your credit report?

Message 6 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I believe I did receive a point increase. Couldn't tell you exactly what that number off the top of my head, but I want to say 5 points or so.

Message 7 of 74
Traveler101
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Many of you here already know the impact on scores when utilization reports 0% to CB’s. This thread shares my recent experience and the penalty for letting my CR’s reflect “zero usage.”

For awhile now I’ve been using the AZEO (all zero except one) method, meaning I let only one of my CC’s report a balance less than 28.9% of the card limit (individual) and less then 8.9% of my overall limit (aggregate) when statement cuts and have the rest of my accounts report zero. Whether or not you use the AZEO strategy, keep in mind those individual and aggregate utilization thresholds aforementioned as it may help improve your scores if below them.

I’ve noticed that this AZEO method works for me, but generally is not needed unless you are in the works of seeking new credit, a mortgage or loan.

Recently, my CR’s reflected 0% utilization due to the account being rotated with utilization was last to report among all my cards. Thus, dropping my scores for a short period of time until the account that reflected a balance finally reported.

Prior to this change, the card I was letting report reflected a 3% individual utilization and less than 1% aggregate making a 3% individual dip and minute aggregate decrease.

I was penalized by all 3 Bureau’s, EQ, TU, EX dropping my scores -20, -16, -14 respectively. When my account with a balance (a 3% individual utilization too) finally reported, my scores increased EQ (+23), TU (+16), EX (+16)

Note that points may differ depending on profile type. I have a clean, but thin profile with only a couple years of history.

Using AZEO does not mean you are only using one card per statement period. You can use as many cards you like as long as you pay them down to zero before statement cut, except for one. Hence why I put zero usage in quotation at the end of the first paragraph.

TLDR: As a result of letting util report 0%, my scores declined -20, -16, -14 for EQ, TU, EX respectively. Then scores inclined EQ (+23), TU (+16), EX (+16) when a 3% utilization (individual) and less than 1% aggregate. The exact utilization’s for which was reflected prior to the 0% report.

For me, fico9 took a 9 point drop I think it was, in the last navy update. Simply because of a 2 card reporting a bal. Normally, I see a reason code for my score, the length of time accounts have been established. That was replaced by, Too many accounts with balances. Anxiously awaiting here to see all accounts report next month. Ive paid the 2nd card off. Plus, decreased overall uti to under 2%. 

Message 8 of 74
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice post, @angelwingz!

Agreed. It's a quality post. Those are significant points loss for going All Zero. AZEO is a definate score boost.

Message 9 of 74
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I believe I did receive a point increase. Couldn't tell you exactly what that number off the top of my head, but I want to say 5 points or so.

I recall reading Thomas_Thumb mentioned AAoA is a scoring attribute. IIRC 24 months should be a AAoA threshold.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Question-about-AAoA-and-AUs/m-p/5565366/highlight/true#M153536

Message 10 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.