Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant SSL caused FICO score DROP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Alliant SSL caused FICO score DROP

What I think everybody would tell you is that the benefit of the SS loan will happen -- whether your problem is due to scorecard reassignment or due to the issues TT mentions.  If scorecard, as time goes on you will have a leg up on many of the other people in your scorecard, since many will not have an installment util of 1-9%.  If the problems are as TT suggests, you will see a benefit once you create a history of account use with longer total age and no more recent accounts or inquiries.

Regardless it's been helpful to see your case.  It is very unusual.  I am pretty sure we have not seen a single case like it among the hundreds of people (some of them with new profiles) who described their experience on the SSL guidance thread.  Pretty much everybody else got a 25-35 point boost.

Message 11 of 19
arkane
Established Contributor

It's been an eye-opening experience for sure (and not a good one). I'll keep a tab on things with CCT over the next few months and see if the needle moves in the right direction. Normally I wouldn't really care since I'll be gardening for a while anyway but I really want that CLI on my Discover and my scores just getting thrashed.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 12 of 19
arkane
Established Contributor

This just keeps getting more and more interesting. So I pulled my EX08 from Discover Scorecard, and it stayed at 760 for a change of exactly 0.

So to sum up, with the opening of the Alliant SSL:

EQ: -22 points

TU: -10 points

EX: no change

Very interesting stuff. Seems like I got heavily penalized on EQ for too many new accounts (with one of the reason codes being "seeking credit"), possibly in relation to it being hit with 3 INQs (one was from Comcast though so not credit related).

Slight penalty on TU possibly due to too many new accounts, but not as bad as EQ. And no penalty at all on EX (but no gain either), probably the boost in credit mix exactly cancels out the penalty for too many new accounts.

Fascinating how each bureau weighs the different factors, although it's possible I'm on different scorecards for each...

Will pull CCT again in a month (and hopefully each month after that for the next 6 months) and keep track of where the scores stand.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 13 of 19
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

Keeping an eye on this - my SSL opened right before they discontinued the product, and has yet to report, let alone report at a low balance. I have only 1 inquiry but a number of new accounts, so I don't know that I have earned a further ding that way. But my AAoA is low (well under a year). Happily, I am not seeking credit for real for at least the next several months, by which time hopefully any demerits iron themselves out. 

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alliant only nixed it about 3 weeks ago right? Based on that period of time I wouldn't sweat that it hasn't yet shown up on your reports.
Message 15 of 19
arkane
Established Contributor

@BurgeoningHope wrote:

Keeping an eye on this - my SSL opened right before they discontinued the product, and has yet to report, let alone report at a low balance. I have only 1 inquiry but a number of new accounts, so I don't know that I have earned a further ding that way. But my AAoA is low (well under a year). Happily, I am not seeking credit for real for at least the next several months, by which time hopefully any demerits iron themselves out. 

If yours opended before Dec 31st (and sounds like it did), then it should have reported on the 31st. I'd say just give it some time, mine reported on the 31st but didn't show up until the 10th (EQ, TU) and the 13th (EX).

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 16 of 19
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

@arkane

Did your score rebound from this and if so how long did it take?

Message 17 of 19
arkane
Established Contributor

Yes, only took 3 months.

EQ: 742 --> 755

TU: 760 --> 770

EX: 760 --> 772

Scores in sig are at 6 months and without AZEO. With AZEO TU is a whooping 1 point higher lol

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bees18 wrote:

@arkane

Did your score rebound from this and if so how long did it take?

Hi Bees.  As another commenter explained in your other thread, the explanation in your case is likely that at least one of your scores is a Vantage.  Take that person's advice and grab your true FICO 8 scores via the $1 CCT trial.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Opened-SSL-dropped-score-45-pts/m-p/5288434#M...

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.