Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AoYA hit???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AoYA hit???

I see negative reason statements on TU FICO 4 as well pertaining to AoYA and mine is at 21 months.  I'm wondering if when it hits 24 months I'll see something different.  I think TT once stated that negative reason statements from AoYA can be present up to 36 months and possibly even 60 months depending on the scoring model.  I'm quite sure at that point though regardless of the scoring model we're only talking a minimal amount of points in terms of score impact.

Message 21 of 25
xaximus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@xaximus wrote:

Inquiries generally start aging off around 3-6 months. Even though the point gain is next to nothing, over a course of a year, you do gain something back. 

I and many others have not found this to be the case.  From what I've seen, whatever point loss is realized the moment an inquiry hits your CR, that's the exact point gain returned 365 days later. 

It would be almost impossible to determine if a point or two comes back throughout the course of those 365 days, but the fact that the points lost are exactly reversed at the 365 day mark more or less eliminates the possibility that points return based on inquiries during the course of those 365 days.  If that were somehow the case, it would mean the removal of an inquiry would be "worth" more than initially taking it on, which wouldn't make any sense.

I agree with you there but how many people do you know that have only 1 inquiry? I myself have probably something like 7-8 in the past year alone. I'm sure others have noticed that as inquiries age, you'll see a point or two gain every few months. I do agree on the 1 year marker for inquiries though. 

I agree with you on the 1 year marker for inquiries no longer impacting scores (gaining all points back). But, few things to keep in mind, as inquiries age, generally you'll see some point gain (1-2 points), over a few months (may 3-6 months, maybe 9, I've seen tracked mines to happen more towards month 4-5 and forward). 

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

There have been many times in the last few years that I've had just 1 inquiry on a bureau and have been able to see the point gain received when it is no longer scoreable at 365 days of age.  This point gain has always exactly matched the point loss from taking on the inquiry 365 days prior.  This is very strong evidence that there is no scoring impact of inquiries aging.  Many others on this forum have confirmed this as well.

The problem with what you're saying (your score increasing a few points after X months) is that you have absolutely no way to correlate that score gain with an inquiry or inquiries aging.  You do have other things aging, though, such as your youngest account, oldest account and of course average age of accounts.  All of those factors can cause slight score gains of (say) 2-4 points here and there. 

I have yet to see any confirmation from anyone that they gained any points back from an inquiry inside of 365 days.  The only way to really be sure of this IMO would be if someone lost X points from the taking on of an inqury, then 1 year later saw a score gain of X - Y (rather than just X).  In this example, Y would represent the number of points gained throughout the year at some point. 

For example, someone takes on an inquiry and sees their score immediately drop 6 points.  What would be expected is that in 365 days exactly those 6 points return.  If (say) 4 return in 365 days, that would suggest that 2 points were gained at some point prior.  I have never seen anyone report what I'm illustrating above, though.

Message 23 of 25
xaximus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There have been many times in the last few years that I've had just 1 inquiry on a bureau and have been able to see the point gain received when it is no longer scoreable at 365 days of age.  This point gain has always exactly matched the point loss from taking on the inquiry 365 days prior.  This is very strong evidence that there is no scoring impact of inquiries aging.  Many others on this forum have confirmed this as well.

The problem with what you're saying (your score increasing a few points after X months) is that you have absolutely no way to correlate that score gain with an inquiry or inquiries aging.  You do have other things aging, though, such as your youngest account, oldest account and of course average age of accounts.  All of those factors can cause slight score gains of (say) 2-4 points here and there. 

I have yet to see any confirmation from anyone that they gained any points back from an inquiry inside of 365 days.  The only way to really be sure of this IMO would be if someone lost X points from the taking on of an inqury, then 1 year later saw a score gain of X - Y (rather than just X).  In this example, Y would represent the number of points gained throughout the year at some point. 

For example, someone takes on an inquiry and sees their score immediately drop 6 points.  What would be expected is that in 365 days exactly those 6 points return.  If (say) 4 return in 365 days, that would suggest that 2 points were gained at some point prior.  I have never seen anyone report what I'm illustrating above, though.

I will definitely do some testing to see how the impact of an inquiry ages over the course of a year. When an inquiry hits, there is a general lost of points (x), once a year has passed, the loss (x) should completely drop off and a person should gain the loss back, which I 100% agree with. What I would like to figure out is over the course of the year, does one gain all points back at the 1 year marker, or does one gain points back over the course of the year and then whatever is left, hits at the 1 year marker. As you had stated, other factors can be in play so it's relatively hard to figure out what is impacting. 

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xaximus wrote:

I will definitely do some testing to see how the impact of an inquiry ages over the course of a year. When an inquiry hits, there is a general lost of points (x), once a year has passed, the loss (x) should completely drop off and a person should gain the loss back, which I 100% agree with. What I would like to figure out is over the course of the year, does one gain all points back at the 1 year marker, or does one gain points back over the course of the year and then whatever is left, hits at the 1 year marker. 

For those that monitor their scores regularly, or pull their scores before/after the 365 day mark, it's quite easy to test.  If you know you lost 6 points from an inquiry on a certain date, 364 days later one can pull their score from that bureau.  This score is Z.  1-2 days later, this individual can pull their score again and it will be Z+6.  This verifies with almost 100% certainty that all of the points from an inquiry 365 days prior come back at once, rather than over time throughout the year.  Doing testing throughout the year will never be concrete, as for the reasons I stated in my previous post there are simply too many profile variables at play.  Doing the test I illustrated above though can isolate your score change pretty easily.  The only exception really would be if the inquiry were taken on the 1st of a month, as on the 1st is when all age of accounts factors increase by 1 month.  An inquiry taken at any other point throughout the month however makes it very easy to isolate the impact of the inquiry with a before/after score pull around the 365 day mark.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.