cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User Accounts now are not counted in scoring model!

tag
joejroe
Valued Member

Authorized User Accounts now are not counted in scoring model!

Hello,

My scored dropped an average of 30 points each report due to the fact it seems that Authorized user accounts don't help you any more.  When my score dropped, I pulled my fico scores to see what was different and I noticed my age of accounts changed big time, digging in.. I see that they dont count authorized user accounts any more in any fashion.  Did this just change this month?  Anyone else notice it?

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

Re: Authorized User Accounts now are not counted in scoring model!

I haven't notice this . Yet . I got one AU account I'll keep an eye out . There was no other changes on your report ?

Message 2 of 34
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@joejroe wrote:

Hello,

My scored dropped an average of 30 points each report due to the fact it seems that Authorized user accounts don't help you any more.  When my score dropped, I pulled my fico scores to see what was different and I noticed my age of accounts changed big time, digging in.. I see that they dont count authorized user accounts any more in any fashion.  Did this just change this month?  Anyone else notice it?

Did did happen on all three CRA? 

Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t recall exactly where I saw it on the myFICO site, but I remember seeing a statement when browsing around in my account that stated that FICO scores do not take AU accounts into consideration for scoring purposes. I’m not sure if it’s a recent change, or has been in place for some time. I’ll keep looking and if I find it, I’ll share.

*EDIT: The more I search, the more I am wondering if I just imagined it. Lol. Everything I’m seeing is to the contrary.
Message 4 of 34
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

FICO doesn't generally backdate changes to the algorithms; AU's still count everywhere they have in the past to my knowledge.

Any CMS interpretation of one's report is absolute fluff, don't trust the verbiage: scores and reason codes are where it's at.  As for a 30 point drop dig into the file for the before and after picture, but AU's don't suddenly up and wander away except *maybe* if something changed on FICO 8 and the anti-abuse algorithm and I didn't see one way or the other how FICO 9 scores them but I assume it's similar to FICO 8.

        
Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, where are you getting your score(s) from?

Message 6 of 34
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don’t recall exactly where I saw it on the myFICO site, but I remember seeing a statement when browsing around in my account that stated that FICO scores do not take AU accounts into consideration for scoring purposes. I’m not sure if it’s a recent change, or has been in place for some time. I’ll keep looking and if I find it, I’ll share.

*EDIT: The more I search, the more I am wondering if I just imagined it. Lol. Everything I’m seeing is to the contrary.

I recently came across something like that as well.

So either you didn't imagine it, or we both imagined it Smiley Happy

Actually where it appears, if you are a MyFICO subscriber, is here: go into score ingredients, average age of accounts, and hover over the question mark or ask for more detail. It says "authorized user accounts aren't considered in the calculation of this attribute".

And it's not a recent development; I checked a few of my reports going back 2 1/2 years, and they have it too.

And the same statement appears for age of oldest account.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 34
joejroe
Valued Member

Yes, it happened on all 3.  TU was the most amount of 30 points.

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

The algorithms calculation of your age is not displayed on your credit report. If you’re seeing a calculation of your age that is done by a CMS. Depending on the CMS it may or may not include the ages from the AU accounts. For example if you go to Experian credit works one page will show you your average age of accounts with AUs and on another page it will show you without AUs.

That does not indicate that the algorithm is or is not using it in its calculation. It depends on the algorithm to begin with. If it’s FICO eight or nine it’s possible they may not be counted, if flagged by the anti-abuse algorithm and the only way for you to know that is to do a test to find out.

Had Fair Isaac made a change to algorithm and retroactively applied it that would be all over the news everybody would be talking about it. You are simply seeing a CMS’s calculation of your average age without benefit of AUs. That has NOTHING to do with what the algorithm is doing.
Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Btw, You’re gonna have to do further research to determine the cause of your drop. Authorized user accounts do not just all of the sudden stop counting. Something else changed.

Did the name or address change for you or the primary?
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.