Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user

tag
Lewisa410
Established Member

Authorized user

I am an authorized user on a capital one account. The SL is $2,500, utilization 11%, on-time payments, and has been open since September of 2017. My goal is to increase my credit score. Should I remain on this account or have myself removed?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized user

I would be curious to know what the average monthly UTI on that card is.  It is 11% now but does it frequently get higher?  The CL is providing a buffer for you at this point.  I don't see any real reason to get rid of it now.

Message 2 of 6
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

i dont see this card as in hurting you .. so i would def keep it . now if the util starts to creep up thats a whole other story. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait I thought the whole point of being added as an AU was to get the bump for timely payments. I didn't realize that utlization is affected? Does the credit limit of the card affect the AU? And if so, how?

Message 4 of 6
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wait I thought the whole point of being added as an AU was to get the bump for timely payments. I didn't realize that utlization is affected? Does the credit limit of the card affect the AU? And if so, how?

This thread is a couple of months old, so the numbers and question in this thread may be irrelevant by now, but if you are an AU on a card, it is calculated as if it's your card. So, in this case, it's as if the OP had another card with that credit limit and 11% utilization (at that moment in time). Then, the math will roll down to overall credit limit and overall utilization, as well as age and payment history. It is mathematically, theoretically, as if it was his card. There are exceptions, and humans evaluating a credit report will know that it is an AU account and will probably consider it differently, knowing that the person they are evaluating is not responsible for the payments.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of those exceptions is worth noting. Sometimes AU accounts are flagged by FICO 8 and 9's anti-abuse algorithm, so they may not always count for those algorithms and derivatives. However, even when flagged, it still affects older models like the mortgage scores, but as stated, manual review sees it. Still makes mortgage numbers prettier, tho.

And the whole point of being added is normally to increase AooA, but here the AU card is too young to offer much benefit in that regard, anyway. As @KJinNC said, it's probably irrelevant by now, but for research's sake.....
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.