cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan paid - Fico 8 drops, Fico 9 increases 🤔

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Contributor

Auto Loan paid - Fico 8 drops, Fico 9 increases 🤔

A quick DP for anyone keeping track of differences between Fico 8 & Fico 9, and perhaps those looking to pay off an auto loan and curious as to what the effects on their score might be.

i opened an auto loan last year and finished paying it off recently. The original balance was for ~$16,000, and the loan was open for 366 days before I paid it off and the account was closed. It was through Ally financial, and they reported the closing at the end of last month. When that happened, I received updates to both my Fico 8 and Fico 9 scores.

The EX, TU, and EQ Fico 8 scores dropped by 8, 1, and 2 points, respectively.

The strange part is that my EX Fico 9 score increased by 6 points when it reported on the same day. My Fico 9 scores had been increasing steadily by 4-5 points each month for a few months, so it’s possible that this is just a part of that trend, but that implies that the closed auto loan did not negatively affect the Fico 9 score, whereas it did for the Fico 8 score.

I still have 4 open installment loans and 7 other open accounts, so the drop shouldn’t be as a result of no installment loans or lack of # of accounts... it seems like the auto loan has a certain weight in Fico 8 that may not exist in Fico 9.

Hope these help 😅
2 REPLIES 2
Super Contributor

Re: Auto Loan paid - Fico 8 drops, Fico 9 increases 🤔

What you need to look at is your overall installment loan utilization just before the auto loan was closed and then what it was after that loan reported closed and is eliminated from the equation with only your other 4 installment loans left.

If your installment loan utilization stayed the same or increased, your scores could stay the same or decrease.  If your installment loan utilization stayed the same or decreased, your scores could stay the same or increase.

If you're seeing the opposite happen, like your installment loan utilization decreased and your scores also decreased, it means something else changed on your report. 

Message 2 of 3
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto Loan paid - Fico 8 drops, Fico 9 increases 🤔

When my new loan hit, v8 increased v9 decreased.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/New-loan-awards-quot-clean-aged-thick-no...
New:
Under Recon:Should I?

Installment loan reported this month,so technically, I'm at 2 months, but AoYA points were NOT reset. When new CCs hit and it is reset, I'll put the number it is.+0,+2,+2(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Scores updated AUG 4, '19. Since then, 4 HP dings to add; will update again.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.