cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELOC is now on fixed monthly payments. Why is it still considered revolving?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELOC is now on fixed monthly payments. Why is it still considered revolving?

Greetings! One of the biggest problems with my credit score is our HELOC utilization rate completely slamming my overall utilization rate! When we first took out the HELOC at the end of 2017, we paid interest only payments for three months, UNTIL I found out that’s what was happening! Since then I’ve been making regular amortized payments (principal and interest). About 9-12 months ago, I took US Bank up on their offer to freeze our rate, while it was still low and start making installment payments. So here’s my question… If I’m on an installment payment plan doesn’t that constitute an installment loan as a post to revolving credit? My credit file would be rockin @16% and falling, if I didn’t have the HELOC on my credit as a revolving?
I would hope that creditors would take the time to access and take into consideration what type of accounts are on my CR? But, as I was just declined for an American Express blue card (FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER FOR ANY CARD!) ... when my credit score is in mid - high 700’s, 0 derogatories, (see my signature).
It is just killing me every time I open up my credit file only to be confronted with what appears to my credit conscientious mind as a 10 foot tall BLINKING, NEON LIGHT that reads 46% - 51% UTR ( depending on which bureau you look at). Or am I just stuck with this, until I can pay my HELOC down? Has anyone ever had their HELOC re-categorized to be considered an installment loan? I guess I could take out a personal loan and pay it off? But that sort of defeats the purpose of a HELOC, tax-deductions, locked in low rate of 4.57%, $70k CL. Please advise!!!
PS I’m going to buckle down and call the recon back door line today for AMX Business Blue...any suggestions on how to get them to change their minds?
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELOC is now on fixed monthly payments. Why is it still considered revolving?

I always thought it was pretty standard for a HELOC to be coded as an installment loan.  I've never had one, so I have no personal experience; it would be cool to hear from others.  I can see how a HELOC being coded as a revolver could screw utilization up pretty good, since a HELOC for many results in a high [relative to "real" revolvers] balance, thus adversely impacting aggregate revolving utilization.  Looking forward to hearing from others regarding the coding of a HELOC.

Message 2 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HELOC is now on fixed monthly payments. Why is it still considered revolving?

@Anonymous wrote:
Greetings! One of the biggest problems with my credit score is our HELOC utilization rate completely slamming my overall utilization rate! When we first took out the HELOC at the end of 2017, we paid interest only payments for three months, UNTIL I found out that’s what was happening! Since then I’ve been making regular amortized payments (principal and interest). About 9-12 months ago, I took US Bank up on their offer to freeze our rate, while it was still low and start making installment payments. So here’s my question… If I’m on an installment payment plan doesn’t that constitute an installment loan as a post to revolving credit? My credit file would be rockin @16% and falling, if I didn’t have the HELOC on my credit as a revolving?
I would hope that creditors would take the time to access and take into consideration what type of accounts are on my CR? But, as I was just declined for an American Express blue card (FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER FOR ANY CARD!) ... when my credit score is in mid - high 700’s, 0 derogatories, (see my signature).
It is just killing me every time I open up my credit file only to be confronted with what appears to my credit conscientious mind as a 10 foot tall BLINKING, NEON LIGHT that reads 46% - 51% UTR ( depending on which bureau you look at). Or am I just stuck with this, until I can pay my HELOC down? Has anyone ever had their HELOC re-categorized to be considered an installment loan? I guess I could take out a personal loan and pay it off? But that sort of defeats the purpose of a HELOC, tax-deductions, locked in low rate of 4.57%, $70k CL. Please advise!!!
PS I’m going to buckle down and call the recon back door line today for AMX Business Blue...any suggestions on how to get them to change their minds?

Contrary to the assumption, a HELOC is not coded as an installment loan.   

By and large, it is a revolving loan instrument, not to be confused with a Home Equity Loan which is the installment type.   Each FI may offer different types of HELOC products, but the basic principle remains the same.   So, just because one elects to "draw" funds from the HELOC or the FI modifies the repayment terms Internally (e.g. fixed monthly payments, interest only w/balloon payment, etc.), the nature of the loan is that it is still treated and coded as a revolving product. 

So, yes, it can impact your revolving utilization much no different than a PLOC would.   Unfortunately, the bank will not report it or recategorize it any differently.

As an aside, what reasons were cited specifically for the AmEx denial? 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for responding to my post! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your time.    i’m still really bummed about the HELOC  categorization. There’s not much I can do about it right now, but I plan on paying that down as soon as possible. Just hoping that any FI will take the time to look at the fact that the lion’s share of my revolving  debt is secured by real estate. (but I’m not holding my breath).  

Anyways, after reading through numerous posts on this site, and taking full of advantage of all of the magnificent input,  I figured that I should go through each of AMX’s  reasons why I was declined,  and then prepare a rebuttal for each point. This is what I’ve come up with in preparation of calling the AMX Recon line.   Any and all advice is more than welcome! 

1. The average of your payments in relation to the balance on your American Express account(s).  **PER AN AUGUST 14, 2019 FICO REPORT**.

As of 8/29/19 this is what the balances actually are:
Existing AMX ACCTS: Two “Business Plus”
Acct #1. Paid down from 96.3% UT to 46%
Acct #1. Paid down from 91.5% UT to 55% .

2. The revolving balance(s) on your American Express accounts is too high.
Explain the nature of my business to AMX RECON: I renovate and restore homes. I also specialize in retrofitting architectural artifacts into homes new and existing. Therefore, funds spent during renovations are sometimes not collectible until after completion of project. So, at this point in business I’m only able to make minimum payments on most accounts, until I get paid by clients. Traditionally, I then pay off accounts and then start all over again. I don’t see why they’re complaining about this because it is ideal for credit card companies, as they get to realize the interest on on my accounts during that particular duration of time.
#1 = $7000 limit NEW BAL: $1850
#2 = $1000 on a $2000 limit NEW BAL: $9

3. The total of balances on your credit card accounts is high in relation to your monthly payments on those accounts, based on a review of our records and your credit report. See new balances

08/14/19                                   8/28/19
Cap1 -                  $ 6858.                                    $1790
Citi♦️-                $12052                                      $4753
Citi Simpl -              $155.                                           $0
Chase Freedom -  $109                                             $7
Chase SWA              $76.                                            $0
USB Pers. VISA -  $7442                                     $3000
USB HELOC -      $62,519.                                 $61,912

4. The amount of your payments in relation to the overall balance on your American Express account(s). Over the last nine months I have made only minimum monthly payments. Until my business matures, this is what I have available to me until my properties are sold in commissions are paid. See #1&2 Above^

Information About Your FICO® Score
We obtained your FICO score from Experian and used it in making our credit decision. Your FICO score is a number that reflects the information in your credit report. Your FICO score can change, depending on how the information in your credit report changes.
On August 14, 2019, your FICO score was 750.
As of 8/29/19  is now 756 * But, it still has not taken into account payments made from 8/15 - 8/29 = $15k

5. Proportion of revolving balances to revolving credit limits is too high.
A. UTR is deceiving. Revolving balances only equate to
B. Shrinking credit card debt:
4/15/19 = $36,977              8/29/19 = $10,500 = 11%

6. Length of time accounts have been established.
FICO08 reports AAOA is 6 years 1 month old.
Oldest Account: 31 years 5 months

7. Insufficient time since most recent account established.
HSBC on 8/1/19, and is the only new account since 2018. The only purpose for a obtaining account was for the 0% balance transfer offer. Very useful in my type of business because allows for me to avoid interest on money borrowed until properties are sold.

8. Excessive amount owed on revolving accounts. See #3 Above

(Sorry for the novel sized response😬)

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reality sucks sometimes, doesn’t it?! Unfortunately, HELOC’s are indeed counted as revolving debt. However, after speaking to my banker today, he did inform me that even though it is considered revolving debt, it can be explained as REVOLVING DEBT that is SECURED BY REAL ESTATE. Which is promising, in my situation. As I am currently applying for a $20k business line of credit from them.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.