Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big drop

tag
villemiami
Regular Contributor

Big drop

My mother is 88 years old, doesn't speak English, doesn't know how to use internet, doesn't know how to use a smartphone. I noticed that her Transunion score went from 742 to 690. I never saw such a drop before. I checked and she is not late in any payment. The only bad thing that happened is that I applied to a United Chase Explorer card for her with her agreement. On the day I applied, I was called back and instead of telling that my mother wasn't speaking English, I replied to security questions as if I was my mother. The reason is that for years, I was tired of saying that my mother doesn't speak English, then I have to wait for a translator, then talk to my mother who is hard of hearing and doesn't want to get a hearing aid, and all the translation process is losing my time. So I had enough and talked as if it was my mother. I got no response from Chase. I called back 2 weeks later and same thing, security questions and I talked instead of my mother. I read that companies have a voice analyzer now. If Chase detected that I wasn't my mother, could they lower her credit score much because of that? It is strange that I never received a letter saying that approval was denied. I really would like to know the reason of this drop in score.

Of course, next time, I will tell that my mother doesn't speak English, and I will lose my time with a ttanslator.

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Big drop

This has nothing to do with her score dropping, Chase can't lower her score . Is this her FICO TU or is this ctedit  karma ?  An inquiry would not drop it that much . Did anything of her balances change ? Something must have changed unless this is CK if it is I would pay no mind .

as I am sure you are aware never a good idea to pretend you are someone else .......

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 13
villemiami
Regular Contributor

The TU score is shown on aviatormastercard.com web site.

It says: "Factors affecting your FICO® Score
1.  Number of accounts with delinquency

2.  Lack of recent installment loan information"

She had a late payment around 2 years ago. Her score went down, then up with time.

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 3 of 13
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Perhaps a good idea for you to see her reports. There may be history that you're not aware of, and can address for her.

For me, when my elderly mom mentioned that she wanted her own credit card (after my dad passed away), I made her an AU on one of my cards. At her age, I don't want any activites on her credit files. Her English is also limited, so I know that struggle for her to speak to CSR's.

Good luck.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 4 of 13
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

You should just add her as AU to your own accounts if she needs one! You are not doing her a favor by getting a new CC and expecting her to manage it in her predicament!

Message 5 of 13
villemiami
Regular Contributor

how can I see her reports?

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 6 of 13
FlaDude
Established Contributor

The same way you'd view your own reports. You can pull all three at www.annualcreditreport.com or from a variety of free and paid commericial sites including myFICO who hosts this forum.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 7 of 13
villemiami
Regular Contributor

Thanks. I got the report from Transunion but I still don't know why there was this drop, from reading the report.

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 8 of 13
FlaDude
Established Contributor

It's hard to say without a prior report to compare to. A new inquiry could drop the score a few points but I don't think it would explain a 52 point drop. 

Factors affecting your FICO® Score
1.  Number of accounts with delinquency

2.  Lack of recent installment loan information

The first reason code is expected with a recent late, that won't fully go away until 7 years after the late payment.

I'm not familiar with the second code, has she paid off any loans or otherwise closed accounts recently?

@villemiami wrote:

Thanks. I got the report from Transunion but I still don't know why there was this drop, from reading the report.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 9 of 13
markbeiser
Established Contributor

@villemiami wrote:

Did she have any old accounts fall off her credit report?

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.