Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Scoring Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC Scoring Question

According to myFICO reports it says the average "high achiever" has 6 open CC accounts. What is the maximum way to earn points, let just one report a balance or three report a balance? 

The reason I ask is because my TU said I am using "too much" credit (letting 66 percent of my accounts report - not utilization, that is only 14.89%). The EQ says I show "good use" of available credit (I guess because my utilization is under 15 percent). My last EX said nothing about how much I use or percentages (either negatively or positively).

So ideally, if for example one had 5 accounts how many should you let report a balance? If one has 6 accounts how many should you let report a balance?

I have read a few threads and am still confused. Some say it hurts to only let 1 CC report a balance, others say you need to have at least 50 percent show a balance to show good use of credit.

Sorry this is a bit long, but I am trying to get to 700 this year and appreciate your help. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: CC Scoring Question

ideally let your reports show less than 1/2 of all of your (revolving and installment) accounts with a balance, and for those that do have a balance under 9% uti is a mark to reach.  some say 1-3% uti gives even more lift but that is not a certainty.

so, if you have 10 accounts and 2 are installment accounts you should have less than 3 cc's report a balance to stay under 50% of all your accts. showing a balance.  capiche?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 6
oracles
Valued Contributor

Hi Pappy

I think you must have read some old posts concerning this.

You should have less than half of total overall accounts reporting a balances.

I.E. - You have 1 mortgage, 1 auto, and 6 cc's.

You have 8 accounts, and because you already have the auto and mortgage reporting a balance, that is 2 already, You only let 1 cc report a balance. therefore you will be under the 1/2 threshold.

This is maxing out your fico points. Also, on that 1 card, you should only allow 1-5% reporting a balance. Some say 1-9, i say 1-5%.

Of course use the other cards so they do not go inactive but pay it off before the next statement cut date so it will report a 0 balance.

Hope this helps

Message Edited by oracles on 02-18-2009 02:12 PM
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to both of you.

Now I will be in great shape!

Message 4 of 6
oracles
Valued Contributor

No problem Pappy, you are on your way to a great cc.
Message 5 of 6
marty56
Super Contributor

I find the single CC reporting a balance of 9% or less gives me the best result.  No difference at 1%, 3% or 9%.
Message Edited by marty56 on 02-18-2009 03:16 PM
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.