Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card reissued, scores drop!

tag
cantretire
Contributor

Card reissued, scores drop!

Hi Discover called me asking if I charged $2,700 to Dell. I hadn't.
The charge denied. They issued me a new card closing the old number and just reissuing a new number, but not changing anything else about the account. Within days my FICO scores dropped - TransUnion dropped 20 points! Will this work itself out or do I need to call them all?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Card reissued, scores drop!

A reissued card should have no bearing at all on credit score. Usually the new account will contain the same info as the old account such as the date opened, so nothing should adversely impact your profile/score unless someone doesn't know what they're doing.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cantretire wrote:
The charge denied. They issued me a new card closing the old number and just reissuing a new number, but not changing anything else about the account. Within days my FICO scores dropped - TransUnion dropped 20 points! Will this work itself out or do I need to call them all?

You mention your scores dropping, but you don't mention looking at your reports and seeing how they might have changed.  Have you done that?

Message 3 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@cantretire wrote:

You mention your scores dropping, but you don't mention looking at your reports and seeing how they might have changed.  Have you done that?

This is what I was wondering too.

Sometimes on first reports a subset of the tradeline information is reported: it's entirely possible the prior account information wasn't carried over, and this usually is corrected as soon as the next report happens.

I would check Credit Karma or whatever to look at the tradeline details for TU.

        
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

As CGID suggests with the advice to check your reports for changes, it's completely possible that your score change came from something else completely unrelated to the reissued CC.

Message 5 of 7
cantretire
Contributor

I'll look closer.  It's just odd as Discover called on 7/5 and I had the new card in my hand on the 7th and I got the score change alert on the same day.  Basically, they just changed the number, so I was so surprised when the scores dropped so much so fast.

Message 6 of 7
SteelCityPride
Valued Member

This probably caused a mid-cycle report by Disco. For example if you had a zero balance previously reported but had a balance at the time of new card being issued this would effect AZEO or total utililization %. This happened to me when I requested an AU card with Disco. Albeit was just a small score change.

Jan. 2017 Fico 8 - low 500's
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.