Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom approval odds

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom approval odds

Ok so my husband has had a chase freedom card for a year now that i am an authorized user on. I wanted to apply for my own freedom, but wondering if that is the better option or better for him to apply for a CLI instead?  His TU and EQ and EX are 754 across the board. My TU and EQ scores are both 704, but my fico is 634 (according to freecreditreport.com). Im also an auth user on his Discover IT but it will not let me check my fico on that. It just makes me sign in and it give HIS fico score instead. No clue how to get MY fico on discovers scorecard?
  So, if Chase pulls my EX, I most likely would not get approved, but if they used TU or EQ, Id have a much better chance. So, apply for my own Freedom or have him call and request a CLI? (annual income-135k) Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom approval odds

Anytime a person talks about a tool that is giving her an EQ and TU score, it's likely that the person is talking about Credit Karma.  Is that the case for you?  Karma is a great free source for your reports but its scores have little value since almost no CC issuers or lenders use them.

The first step I'd suggest is to pull your reports and three FICO 8 scores via the $1 trial offer at Credit Check Total.  Once you have printed out your 3B report and score you can and should send them an email requesting that CCT cancel your trial.  If contributor Brutal Body Shots sees this thread he can walk you through how to do that.

After you and your husband have gone over your CCT report and scores, and are sure you understand everything on them, feel free to circle back and let us know what you discovered.  We can advise you better then.

PS.  If your husband calls and requests a credit line increase with Chase, he will incur a hard inquiry.  That's not a big deal, but he would want to be aware of it in advance.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

CGID's suggestion above to obtain your 3 FICO 08 scores from a $1 trial at CCT is very sound.  It's crucial that you know where your FICO scores stand prior to apping.  I also suggest that you check out the credit pulls database and see what types of scores/profiles were approved/denied for the Freedom card.  From there you'll have a better idea as to what your odds are.  Have you tried the Chase pre-qual site?  If you are pre-qualified for the Freedom, there's probably about a 90% chance you'd be approved in the event that you app.

Message 3 of 11
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

freecreditreport is a fico8 EX and chase is mostly an EX puller.  @ 634 I would say you are a no go or borderline at best.  go to the pre-qual site, hope I am wrong but I bet it does not show anything

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I dont get, why my fico is so low. I have one HP on it, perfect payment history, absolutely nothing bad on there. In fact it pretty much matches my husbands report, yet his is 754..so strange.

Message 5 of 11
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's what I dont get, why my fico is so low. I have one HP on it, perfect payment history, absolutely nothing bad on there. In fact it pretty much matches my husbands report, yet his is 754..so strange.

what is your own util or residual from your husbands?  util is huge

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

What is your own util or residual from your husbands?  util is huge

Agreed.  If you have perfect payment history and haven't applied for credit recently, there are very few other factors that would keep your score sin the mid 600's verses the mid 700's.  Utilization would definitely be the biggest, followed then by age of accounts... basically your AAoA and AoOA [compared to his].

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

His utilization is 9% and mine is 19%..but still shouldnt keep my fico sooo low. His is literally 122pts higher than mine. So yeah not sure why. Everythng else is exactly the same. We share all the same credit cards whether he or I are the others authorized user. The ONLY card or anything else I have different than him is a care credit card, which is why my util is higher than his. hmm?

Message 8 of 11
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

His utilization is 9% and mine is 19%..but still shouldnt keep my fico sooo low. His is literally 122pts higher than mine. So yeah not sure why. Everythng else is exactly the same. We share all the same credit cards whether he or I are the others authorized user. The ONLY card or anything else I have different than him is a care credit card, which is why my util is higher than his. hmm?

@Anonymous a tip you are going to enjoy credit much more if you stop comparing and trying to figure out stuff, serious.  there are too many variables @ play.  figure yourself out.  you are ~%30 util.  google the fico pie chart, it factors 30% for util. I am quite sure this is where your issue lies and also both of your startment cut dates are not in sync for reporting.  get a cct for a buck, its a great tool for drilling into this stuff

edit, fix everything before you app, having a low sl or a >% is not going to do you any favors.  I wont compare because everyones life is different but whenever I got a card in the past I was at~1% and not a month goes by when all my cards report more than ~2%.  it's just the way I like it.  lenders can tell desperation a mile away, if things dont add up you will know it.  you didnt say what the combined limits are here but high util can be very damaging.  income is nice and all but jobs and bank accounts come and go.  history is what makes the difference in credit long term and if i have learned anything here its that if you want to bag big sl's, north of $30K you have to strike at the right time and be patient for everything to be clean and perfect on your profile

Message 9 of 11
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Perhaps you didn't include this because you didn't think it was relevant, or perhaps it's not actually your situation: Does he have a home or other installment, personal, or student loan in his name that's not also on your report?

(Ours home loan is only on mine, not on DWs.)

2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.