Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Collection?

tag
krit
Regular Contributor

Closed Collection?

I have a 5.5 year old closed collection by the OC showing a balance of zero. I also have an open CA due to fall off in March. Once the open CA falls off, how damaging will this closed collection be? Is it as bad as it being open? Thanks. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Closed Collection?

A collection open, closed, or paid doesnt affect scores. The collection itself does the point loss. It may have been sold to another agency and hasnt posted yet maybe. Or the OC wrote it off and you'll be getting a 1099c. Others will chime in.

Message 2 of 6
krit
Regular Contributor

Yes, it was sold. I PFD that CA and got the open one removed. This closed one by the OC remains, though. 

Message 3 of 6
krit
Regular Contributor

One more question: The open one is being reported as new every month, but the CRA said it'll fall off in March of '22. I disputed it last year, and then read that a dispute re-sets the clock. I'm not buying that. My understanding is that it can report only ~7 years past the DOFD. I hope this is right. 

Message 4 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Disputing it doesnt reset the clock. It updates as a fresh entry on your reports and hits your scores. You can ask for EE with TU 6 months early, EX at 3 months. leave EQ as is. Call and ask for a supervisor. Explain that the CA doesnt even own the debt. You paid the one they sold it to. Good luck.

Message 5 of 6
krit
Regular Contributor

Thank you! I asked EX about it last month but was told no dice. However, I wasn't speaking with a supervisor. I'll give it a shot. Thanks again for your help. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.