Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing Credit Cards

I currently hold three credit cards - one was a high interest rate card that I have had since 2005. It was a starter card with a $700 limit. I don't currently use it as I have two other cards with lower rates - all of my cards have zero dollar balances. My credit score is only 646 (funny I bought plane tickets on one of my cards - credit plummets 30 points - paid them off last month - no movement, with reporting, hmmmm...), but I just realized the high interest card changed the interest rate to 25.99% (no joke and no notice) - I want to cancel it at this point. What will that do to my credit score? I was hoping to refinance my current car loan early next year and apply for an American Express Blue card. Thanks!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing Credit Cards

cj0203 wrote:
I currently hold three credit cards - one was a high interest rate card that I have had since 2005. It was a starter card with a $700 limit. I don't currently use it as I have two other cards with lower rates - all of my cards have zero dollar balances. My credit score is only 646 (funny I bought plane tickets on one of my cards - credit plummets 30 points - paid them off last month - no movement, with reporting, hmmmm...), but I just realized the high interest card changed the interest rate to 25.99% (no joke and no notice) - I want to cancel it at this point. What will that do to my credit score? I was hoping to refinance my current car loan early next year and apply for an American Express Blue card. Thanks!

It's a good idea to have a few good CCs. I think you might be better off apping for an Amex card first and if approved, then close this CC. I would do these things in this order:

1.) Refi
2.) App Amex
3.) If approved then close CC

For more info on closing CCs check the link in my sig line.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.