Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections

There was a collections delinquency in my report for $169 which draged down the scores by 40 - 50 points. A few questions:

- Will it help the scores if it is paid off? If so what kind of improvement I should expect.

- Should we ask the colections agency to remove in return for a payment?

- Any other advice to recover from this partialy or completely?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: Collections

Really the only ways to see score improvement would be from doing a PFD(pay for delete) or letting time age it.

Not all collections agencies do PFD. I would suggest heading to the rebuilding forum and using the search bar to check for possible info on the collection agency.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There was a collections delinquency in my report for $169 which draged down the scores by 40 - 50 points. A few questions:

- Will it help the scores if it is paid off? If so what kind of improvement I should expect.

- Should we ask the colections agency to remove in return for a payment?

- Any other advice to recover from this partialy or completely?

Thanks

Paid collections really do little to nothing score-wise for you. It needs to be removed to see a good gain back in points. What CA is it? Perhaps we can tell you if they are known to PFD (pay for delete)?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying it off won't improve your score.  Getting it removed will if it's your only major negative item.  As the others have pointed out, you want to attempt to negotiate the removal of the collection if you are to pay it.  That way you both get what you want instead of just them getting what they want.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.