Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Finance Account

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Re: Consumer Finance Account

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes lenders will grant CFA's to those with weak credit profiles, but they'll also happily grant them (perhaps without consumer knowledge of their adverse impact) to people with strong credit profiles.

Perhaps that's the key: Maybe it's the lender that determines whether or not an account will be treated as a CFA? For whatever reason, certain lenders other than banks and credit unions trigger the CFA notification. 

But then why would the CRAs deem some auto loans CRAs but not others from the same lender, captive or not? Does it have to do with the terms of the loan? It's a mystery!

Message 21 of 24
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I know where my CFA is coming from....I have a "OneMain Financial" on my reports, industry coding..."personal loan companies" from 2006. Paid off 2012, so I have a few years left on my reports.

Only EX F03 states the CFA reason though.
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

That basically means that with the other scoring models, the CFA doesn't make your top 4 negative reason codes... Not necessarily that it isn't present and adversely impacting your scores.
Message 23 of 24
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes lenders will grant CFA's to those with weak credit profiles, but they'll also happily grant them (perhaps without consumer knowledge of their adverse impact) to people with strong credit profiles.

... Maybe it's the lender that determines whether or not an account will be treated as a CFA? ...

Yes, it is the lender.  There is no indication that the terms of the loan matter AT ALL to the CRA when determining if an accout is a CFA.  Only who created it.  You could have 850 scores and get a 0% interest loan for any length, but if it came from the "wrong" lender, it could be a CFA.

But no one is going to tell you that when you're agreeing to terms.  No one will tell you that the ratings agencies are going to penalize you by 25-50-75 points for taking a loan from this lender, instead of one with the same terms (or worse terms) from that lender.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.