cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Seminar - Interesting Information and Question(s)

tag
Lucid08
Regular Contributor

Credit Seminar - Interesting Information and Question(s)

If this belongs in the Auto FInancing section, feel free to move it.

I recently attended a credit seminar while at a local community college, and some of the imformation that was offered dealt with FICO scores associated with Automobile/CC/Mortage Enhanced Scores..

One of the presenters offered information on Auto/CC/Mortgage-Enhanced FICO Scores, but some of this information has me a little stumped. According to what I have read on this site over the past 3-4 years, most derogatory items will fall off after 7 years(with the exceptions of course) However, the presenter noted that when Lenders request and use the Auto/CC/Mortgage-Enhanced FICO scores, the information that derives these scores can be from a time period well beyond the 7 year mark. The presenter made it sound that if a person has ever had an Auto repossessed, an Auto loan go very late, a CC go into default or a Mortgage foreclosed, that this information could(would) be included in these Enhanced FICO scores, and that the potential lenders would be able to see the bad loans/accounts, regardless of age.

I thought I would come here and see if I could get some clarification on this issue, seeing as how the majority of derogatory items fall off a persons credit report after 7 years. So I would like to ask if these Auto Enhanced FICO scores, along with Credit Card Enhanced and Mortgage Enhanced specific pulls can actually carry information that goes beyond the 7 year mark??

::Edited for Grammar::

EQUIFAX - 640 1/05/12 - Goal of 720 by Mid May!
Transunion - 637 - 01/15/10
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Seminar - Interesting Information and Question(s)

While I can't say for 100% certain if that's true or not, I can say this.  Derogatory info does fall off of your REPORTS after approx 7 years (with some exceptions).  But all of that information is still contained within your credit FILE if I'm not mistaken.  Meaning when formulating a score such as one of the enhanced scores, it may very well take into consideration those older items still on your FILE.  Very interesting information.  This kind of sounds like a RobertEG kind of question. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a blast from the past (2007 to be exact).

In this myFICO thread, moderator Tuscani indicates that auto scores rate you more on how you've managed your previous auto credit and that auto scores calculate against the same credit file as your "standard" FICO scores.

Hope that's helpful.

Message 3 of 6
Lucid08
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's a blast from the past (2007 to be exact).

In this myFICO thread, moderator Tuscani indicates that auto scores rate you more on how you've managed your previous auto credit and that auto scores calculate against the same credit file as your "standard" FICO scores.

Hope that's helpful.

I read that very thread prior to making my OP, yet I saw lines in the same post by Tuscani that said: "Have you ever settled an auto loan or lease for less than you owed?", with"ever" being the key word here, which indicates that what the presenter hinted at the credit seminar, could be true.

EQUIFAX - 640 1/05/12 - Goal of 720 by Mid May!
Transunion - 637 - 01/15/10
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What he said apparently was a reminder that the cessation of derogs from your CR does not mean that other information on the account ceases to affect your credit scoring.

That is correct.  The aging of a delinquency or derog from inclusion in your CR, and thus in credit scoring, does not remove any other information on the account, such as its age, or payment history/derogs related to other reported items of information. 

Information they receive from your CR can theoretically extend back to day one on any account, except for specific items of information that have reached a certain CR exclusion date.

Message 5 of 6
GypsyGal
Established Member

@RobertEG wrote:

What he said apparently was a reminder that the cessation of derogs from your CR does not mean that other information on the account ceases to affect your credit scoring.

That is correct.  The aging of a delinquency or derog from inclusion in your CR, and thus in credit scoring, does not remove any other information on the account, such as its age, or payment history/derogs related to other reported items of information. 

Information they receive from your CR can theoretically extend back to day one on any account, except for specific items of information that have reached a certain CR exclusion date.

I am confused... Let's use this example... I have a credit card on which I have not been late in over 6 years... but, I have some 60 and 90 day lates on that card in 2002 & 2003... Are you saying that because the account is still open, creditors can access that old information?  

I also have 2 30-day lates in 2004 on that card that I expected to drop off soon. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.