Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card payment before or after statement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card payment before or after statement

My statement processing date is tomorrow. Is it better for credit reporting and scores if I pay it after statement processing or before?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Credit card payment before or after statement

If your utilization is below 30%, I would allow the statement to cut before paying. That's if you want to show usage.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No reason to micromanage unless you need top credit score for some practical reason.

Message 3 of 6
Dahlia77
Regular Contributor

Since i'm a freak about this stuff, I always pay all cards to zero except for one that I allow 1-9% to report.  Usually people do that to optimize scores when they're getting ready to app but I had such poor fico numbers when I started rebuilding that I feel better sticking to that habit every month.  Makes me feel more secure and since I never know what I'm going to get in the mail on any given day makes me feel like I have the room to accept a prequal/preapproval should it pop up in the mail.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dahlia77 wrote:

Makes me feel more secure and since I never know what I'm going to get in the mail on any given day makes me feel like I have the room to accept a prequal/preapproval should it pop up in the mail.

Why then are you in the garden? Did you not commit yourself not to apply for new credit until a certain date?

Message 5 of 6
Dahlia77
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dahlia77 wrote:

Makes me feel more secure and since I never know what I'm going to get in the mail on any given day makes me feel like I have the room to accept a prequal/preapproval should it pop up in the mail.

Why then are you in the garden? Did you not commit yourself not to apply for new credit to a certain date?

Hell Yeah, I most certainly did.  But psychologically it just clicks for me to keep on doing the way I have from the beginning.  It's like chocolate, I'd fantasize a hell of alot more about it on a deserted island than in civilization where it's available up the street!  (Plus I wasn't in the garden for awhile and I won't always be in there....) Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.