Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me understand large EX score drop

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help me understand large EX score drop

So last week I closed a Synchrony credit account (AJ Madison) because the card was no longer useful; for the simple fact that AJ Madison had ended their relationship with Synchrony and they no longer accepted the card, it was orphaned. It was a 2-year-old account, with a zero balance since last November, and a $6800 CL.

Other notables:

Total CL across all open accounts over $90k, with between 1-2% total utilization

Thick file, credit history 22 years, AAoA a tad over 9 years

All revolving accounts in good standing, most with zero balance

Mortgage (1st and 2nd), car loan...all in good standing

No baddies

Still have 4 other Synchrony accounts 

So when the account closing hit EQ, there was no change in score at all; but when it hit EX the next day, that score went from 808 to 785 - a 23 point drop. WHAAAT??? Help me out here, because I'm flummoxed!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Grafton88
Established Contributor

Re: Help me understand large EX score drop

@Anonymous wrote:

So last week I closed a Synchrony credit account (AJ Madison) because the card was no longer useful; for the simple fact that AJ Madison had ended their relationship with Synchrony and they no longer accepted the card, it was orphaned. It was a 2-year-old account, with a zero balance since last November, and a $6800 CL.

Other notables:

Total CL across all open accounts over $90k, with between 1-2% total utilization

Thick file, credit history 22 years, AAoA a tad over 9 years

All revolving accounts in good standing, most with zero balance

Mortgage (1st and 2nd), car loan...all in good standing

No baddies

Still have 4 other Synchrony accounts 

So when the account closing hit EQ, there was no change in score at all; but when it hit EX the next day, that score went from 808 to 785 - a 23 point drop. WHAAAT??? Help me out here, because I'm flummoxed!

Where are you getting your EX reports?  Do you get more than just the score?  

I keep tabs on my credit factors through CCT(Credit Check Total).  If my score has changed then I can look at the credit factors and compare them with previous reports.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Grafton88 wrote:

Where are you getting your EX reports?  Do you get more than just the score?  

I keep tabs on my credit factors through CCT(Credit Check Total).  If my score has changed then I can look at the credit factors and compare them with previous reports.

Here at MyFico...I have the Fico Ultimate 3B monitoring. The score is the Fico 8, and my reports were ran two weeks ago. The only thing on this morning's alert was the account being closed and the resulting 23-point drop.

Message 3 of 4
Grafton88
Established Contributor

With your long credit history, excellent credit mix, and low CC utilization I would think you could withstand an atomic attack.

I think I would call EX and see if they can explain it.  You might have to elevate your call to the supervisor level.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.