Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit usage?

tag
nelslt
Established Member

Credit usage?

Trying to figure out this whole credit card balance scenario. I have 3 cards.  My Quicksilver capital one has a limit of 950, with a 0 balance.  Platinum capital one has a 1400 limit, at this time I have a 89 balance on the card.  Major Financial card with a 5000 limit and 0 balance.  
Should I let the 89 dollar balance report or should I pay the card down to 0 on the statement date? It seems as though when I pay the 89 dollars off my credit score drops. I am trying to continually raise my score to qualify for a mortgage loan.  Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit usage?

You want at least AZEO; All Zero Except One card reporting a balance. Let the $89 report before you pay it off.

For your reading pressure from Birdman7
General Scoring Primer and Version 8 Master Thread rev.5.17.20

Message 2 of 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit usage?

@nelslt wrote:

Trying to figure out this whole credit card balance scenario. I have 3 cards.  My Quicksilver capital one has a limit of 950, with a 0 balance.  Platinum capital one has a 1400 limit, at this time I have a 89 balance on the card.  Major Financial card with a 5000 limit and 0 balance.  
Should I let the 89 dollar balance report or should I pay the card down to 0 on the statement date? It seems as though when I pay the 89 dollars off my credit score drops. I am trying to continually raise my score to qualify for a mortgage loan.  Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated.

The safest bet is to let one card report a balance before you pay it off while the other 2 report zero balances.

For the 2 Capital One cards, the statement balance is the reported balance.

I'm not familiar with Major Financial.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.