Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit vs. Charge Card

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Credit vs. Charge Card

I'm curious about how the differince in FICO scoring between a credit card and a charge card.

I understand how util is calculated on a credit card, but what about a charge card?    Does a charge card report as maxed out since it has no preset limit, or is it ignored in the credit usage catagory since it is not revolving.

If a credit card is not considered revolving then how does FICO figure it into your credit score?   If it is considered revolving the I would see a real negitive to having one. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit vs. Charge Card

FICO 8 and 9 ignore the card in their utilization calculations.

Much older models (e.g. the EX mortgage score) do count it towards utilization.  There's a field called High Balance on your report, which is the highest balance your card has ever had.  The very old models would make treat this as your credit limit for the practical utilization calculation.  Thus, for example, if you had an Amex green card, and the highest your balance had ever been was $8239, then the card would be treated as if it had a credit limit of $8239 for the various util calculations.

So way back in the day (if one had a charge card at all, and there still is no reason to do that necessarily) the best strategy for the owner of a charge card would be to create a huge balance on the card early on (if he could do that without unnecessary spending).

Message 2 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If you mean charge card as a tradeilne having a term of 1 month, then what CGID stated is exactly right.

That said there's a number of retail cards (Sync) that report as "charge cards" on some bureaus, but they behave exactly like normal revolvers as far as FICO is concerned.  Actually I don't know of anyone other than Amex that has the exclusion for their charge cards but probably there's someone else out there.

        
Message 3 of 12
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

If you mean charge card as a tradeilne having a term of 1 month, then what CGID stated is exactly right.

That said there's a number of retail cards (Sync) that report as "charge cards" on some bureaus, but they behave exactly like normal revolvers as far as FICO is concerned.  Actually I don't know of anyone other than Amex that has the exclusion for their charge cards but probably there's someone else out there.

I was specificly thinking of the Amex charge cards.  So does FICO 8 and 9 ignore them completely?   Or do they have some other scoreing impact as opposed to Util?  

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

So way back in the day (if one had a charge card at all, and there still is no reason to do that necessarily) the best strategy for the owner of a charge card would be to create a huge balance on the card early on (if he could do that without unnecessary spending).

CGID, in this strategy example the original reporting of the high balance would result in 100% or maxed out utilization for that cycle, correct?  It would also mean that any time a new "high balance" is achieved that the card holder would be scored according to their highest individual line being at 100%. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

CGID, in this strategy example the original reporting of the high balance would result in 100% or maxed out utilization for that cycle, correct?  It would also mean that any time a new "high balance" is achieved that the card holder would be scored according to their highest individual line being at 100%. 

Quite right, BBS.  But just to remind our OP, the "scoring" that BBS is talking about is scoring by a very old model, like EX mortgage.  This is why in the olden days score-savvy people would wait for a couple months when they knew their score could take a hit, and drive up their high balance as high as they could without spending anythinge extra.

To answer our OP's followup question, FICO 8 and 9 ignore it in terms of utilization.  There are many mays in which the tradeline would not be ignored: if it had late payments, in terms of how it affects age-related factors, etc.

One factor for which I do not know how FICO 8 and 9 handle an Amex charge card is "number of tradelines reporting a positive balance."  I am guessing that a charge card with a positive balance is included in this factor for all models, but I do not know.

Message 6 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

I'm curious about how the differince in FICO scoring between a credit card and a charge card.

I understand how util is calculated on a credit card, but what about a charge card?    Does a charge card report as maxed out since it has no preset limit, or is it ignored in the credit usage catagory since it is not revolving.

If a credit card is not considered revolving then how does FICO figure it into your credit score?   If it is considered revolving the I would see a real negitive to having one. 

It's ignored by FICO 8 in the utilization category.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 12
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

Quite right, BBS.  But just to remind our OP, the "scoring" that BBS is talking about is scoring by a very old model, like EX mortgage.  This is why in the olden days score-savvy people would wait for a couple months when they knew their score could take a hit, and drive up their high balance as high as they could without spending anythinge extra.

To answer our OP's followup question, FICO 8 and 9 ignore it in terms of utilization.  There are many mays in which the tradeline would not be ignored: if it had late payments, in terms of how it affects age-related factors, etc.

One factor for which I do not know how FICO 8 and 9 handle an Amex charge card is "number of tradelines reporting a positive balance."  I am guessing that a charge card with a positive balance is included in this factor for all models, but I do not know.

Charge cards are tradelines and therefore are included in AAoA, AoOA and AoYA. They are also included in # of accounts with balances. They are not true revolving credit and therefore are not included in revolving utilization for the more recent Fico 8 and Fico 9 models. They also are not included in the "recent revolving account activity" attribute.

As far as I know all AMEX charge cards are NPSL. Thus the practice of HB being used as a psuedo CL. Back in the day a lot of store cards were charge cards with an actual CL.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 8 of 12
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

If I am understanding everyone correctly Amex Charge Cards would count in all categories of scoring except revolving utilization. 

Thanks for all the good informtion. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have it right... except that what you said does not apply to the oldest models, e.g. the mortgage models.  There Amex charge cards do count toward utilization, with the High Balance being used as a stand-in for Credit Limit.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.