Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Point for High Utilization on Single Card

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Data Point for High Utilization on Single Card

Haven't run up a high balance on one card in awhile and thought others might find Data Points about credit score impact helpful.

My utilization on each of my credit cards has generally been very low for the past year (roughly 1% or less overall.)  I let balances on two cards get up to about 40 to 50% of CL before immediately paying them down, but had not exceeded that or carried a balance.  My credit scores have been fairly stable in the 800 to 850 range, even with applying for several new accounts.  I recently got a Navy Federal CU Platinum Visa card with a $10K SL, primarily for the very low 7.49% APR which gives me financial flexibility in the future if I choose to use it.  I also understand they regularly offer good BT offers.  With no rewards, though, this would not be a daily driver and would have limited day-to-day use. 

I had hoped for a higher SL than $10K but it was my first Navy FCU card with pretty new membership.  They were offering a new customer BT offer of 0% APR for one year with no BT fee, so I thought this would be a good way to use the credit line fully, quickly repay, and build credit history with them.  I balance transferred $9,795 in the BT 30-day window, so using almost 98% of my CL.  Of that amount, $8,725 had posted by my closing statement (87.25% usage reported to CRBs.)  I have the ability to pay this off immediately (didn't even need the transfer) but plan to stretch it out for about three months of payment history. 

I was concerned about the impact on my credit score from the very high utilization on one card.  I haven't allowed such a high percentage of Credit Limit to post to my credit report in many years.  My TCL is about $440K, and the almost $10K on one card equated to an overall utilization of a mild 2% but a very high utilization on that single card.  From all my credit monitoring websites (FICO Score 8's and Vantage Scores on Credit Karma), it appears the impact in my case so far has been about a 12-20 point hit on my score.  I imagine if I didn't pay it down quickly, it would continue to drop further for a few months and then restabilize.  I don't plan to let that happen.  I think I've heard other members report about a 40 or 50 point loss is possible after maxing out a card if it is not repaid pretty quickly.

Hope others find this helpful and maybe other members can post their own experience in regards to temporary high utilization on a single credit card.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
8 REPLIES 8
Countryboy1
Established Member

Re: Data Point for High Utilization on Single Card

My wife maxed out on of my CCs for the holidays and it reported before I payed it off. I lost 42 points but immediately got them back after paying it off and doing an off cycle report
Message 2 of 9
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

I love this card for the rate but it definitely is not one that Navy Fed like to give high SL on.  Although I would have done the same type of transfer, I thought it would be a good reminder to readers that when doing balance transfers you are not required to transfer the entire balance of one or more cards. If you are worried about taking the hits from maximizing out a single card then limit the transfer amount to 30% or less of the CL. You can use this to actually increase your score if you have a high balance on a card and diversify your transfers amongst other cards.  Also remember its nice to get a great transfer rate with a new card but many of your existing cards will allow transfers with a minimal fee attached. Always check what tools you have available.  Also just like lower interest and CLI requests you can request the balance transfer fee of a card to be waved if you have a strong history with the company. 

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure you lose additional points after hitting a threshold and keeping it there. I lost 40 maxing out over 90% and held it there for about 9 months. I lost 3-5 additional points, but that might have been due to an increase in balances on other cards. I recovered those points when those increase in balances on other cards were paid. My util overall was 6-7%. Your util overall will be less than that if you max the card. And maybe you lose only 20 points, not 40. It also seemed my score was a little more volatile with sharp but not excessive balance increases on other cards. 

Message 4 of 9
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@NimbusIII wrote:

I love this card for the rate but it definitely is not one that Navy Fed like to give high SL on.  Although I would have done the same type of transfer, I thought it would be a good reminder to readers that when doing balance transfers you are not required to transfer the entire balance of one or more cards. If you are worried about taking the hits from maximizing out a single card then limit the transfer amount to 30% or less of the CL. You can use this to actually increase your score if you have a high balance on a card and diversify your transfers amongst other cards.  Also remember its nice to get a great transfer rate with a new card but many of your existing cards will allow transfers with a minimal fee attached. Always check what tools you have available.  Also just like lower interest and CLI requests you can request the balance transfer fee of a card to be waved if you have a strong history with the company. 

Yes, good reminders to consider all your options.  I did a LOT of BT offers on new and established cards for over 10 years while I was trying to pay myself out of huge debts from a major career disruption.  Five figure balances and numerous BTs, but eventually was able to get it back under control and pay it all off.  Fortunately, those days are long gone but those BT offers helped to keep me afloat.  Thank you, Chase, Discover, Bank of America, and First National Bank of Omaha, in particular

However, in this particular case, I elected to transfer balances from multiple cards purposefully for the sole reason of maxing out my new card.  (Those were balances I normally would have paid-in-full.)  And I did have existing BT offers on other cards also, but that wasn't the point in this scenario since I didn't even need the BT offer; I was just using it to run the card up and pay it off to establish new use. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

"I imagine if I didn't pay it down quickly, it would continue to drop further for a few months and then restabilize"

Not unless something happens to your overall credit to push your utilization above one of the known thresholds. I do not want to make an absolute statement because I am accepting of the fact that a credit file is like a living breathing thing that even if nothing else changes it is still aging which is a change in and of itself but....there should be no further drop just because you carrying the balance for long time (or any time). Utilization does not care about the previous month/years or future months/years. Having a 90% util is the same hit in month 1 as in month 24, even if you carry the 90% for the full 24 months.

You might see some small drop if you naturally spend on your other cards and let balances post on other cards and you cross smaller lesser known thresholds.

For example I am on a scorecard with Experian  where I seem to have a utilization threshold down around 3-5%. Crossing always gives me or takes away 4-5 points.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High @Morpho is on point. No need to stress, utilization has no memory. FICO scoring is a snapshot in time.

Funny, I just did exactly what you did, for similar reasons., I took hits of -21 EQ, -19 TU, -22 EX for maxing out one card. I'm at like 2% aggregate. Whether we report 0 next month or in 10 months, the point gain will be the exact same we lost.

For DP purposes, my profile is clean/thick/aged/new account, loan on record.

@Countryboy May I ask your profile stats? clean/dirty, Number of accounts open and closed on CR, AoOA? AoYR(Revolver)? Open/closed loan on CR?

@Cardnut 40 points? Can you remind me of your stats?
Message 7 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on using the BT to test maxing a card.

I will question whether the high utilization will change score after this first report. I don’t think it will change further. Your file is probably thick and aged, so this is a small blip on that list of buffers.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Aim_High @Morpho is on point. No need to stress, utilization has no memory. FICO scoring is a snapshot in time.

Funny, I just did exactly what you did, for similar reasons., I took hits of -21 EQ, -19 TU, -22 EX for maxing out one card. I'm at like 2% aggregate. Whether we report 0 next month or in 10 months, the point gain will be the exact same we lost.

For DP purposes, my profile is clean/thick/aged/new account, loan on record.

@Countryboy May I ask your profile stats? clean/dirty, Number of accounts open and closed on CR, AoOA? AoYR(Revolver)? Open/closed loan on CR?

@Cardnut 40 points? Can you remind me of your stats?

I lost about 40. Went from about 834 to 794 but hovered in the range of 792 to 801 due to other activities on my other cards. I don't remember when the last time I went below 792. Long time.

Once I paid the 0% promo off, ended up around 838 immediately. I'm 4 or 5 points higher than when I started the 0, but that's most likely due to my accounts all aged 1 year over the course of the promo.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.