Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Department Store preapprovals?

tag
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Department Store preapprovals?

So, good people, I was in a well known department store the other day, just biding my time while waiting in line, and once again heard the same old, same old offered to the woman ahead of me, "What's your phone number?"  "Your zip code."  "Would you like to save 10% on your purchase today?" 

The woman kindly declined the offer/refused to **bleep** at the bait, paid for her purchase and went on her way. 

When it came to be my turn, and after I'd given my phone number and zip code,  I said to the cashier, "I'm sure glad you guys don't bug me about that, anymore," to which the cashier smiled and said, "You're already with us." 

I was curious to know how it was that she knew that, and asked.  She proceeded to tell me that the info was provided her once she put in my phone number and zip code.  She also said that the same information triggers preapproved status, as do driver's license numbers, and so I ask you, isn't this a violation of one's right to privacy? 

I find this all so rather disturbing -- to think that a mere cashier would have at her/his disposal such information that would deem a person creditworthy.  I might add that upon inquiring about the extent of the information she had access to, she said that it was limited to making the offer of credit.  It still troubles me, nonetheless.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Department Store preapprovals?

I hear ya.. Kind of scary.

This real troubling thing is you rarely have to provide ID for store cards... Rather a major CC only. They say the CC you have to show is mostly for the ID. The computer matches it to your CR. How does that stop someone from stealing a card and applying for additional credit in your name??!

I asked a Macys rep that once and she gave me some BS answer about how the system was smart enough to not allow that... lol
Message 2 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Tuscani wrote:

This real troubling thing is you rarely have to provide ID for store cards... Rather a major CC only. They say the CC you have to show is mostly for the ID. The computer matches it to your CR. How does that stop someone from stealing a card and applying for additional credit in your name??!
I asked a Macys rep that once and she gave me some BS answer about how the system was smart enough to not allow that... lol

All the more reason the CRA's need to get their acts together to allow consumers to view their credit reports and thus inquiries every day. Without creating split files. With the technology available today the constant pulling of reports should not move info off the report. Get my drift? How else can we protect ourselves? I need my daily fix. LOL.
Message 3 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

@smallfry wrote:

@Tuscani wrote:

This real troubling thing is you rarely have to provide ID for store cards... Rather a major CC only. They say the CC you have to show is mostly for the ID. The computer matches it to your CR. How does that stop someone from stealing a card and applying for additional credit in your name??!

All the more reason the CRA's need to get their acts together to allow consumers to view their credit reports and thus inquiries every day. Without creating split files. With the technology available today the constant pulling of reports should not move info off the report. Get my drift? How else can we protect ourselves? I need my daily fix. LOL.

Preach on brother..... preach on. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 6
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Amen to that!!! 
Message 5 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

In a perfect world all ccc's rather bank or dep't store issue should have your photo on the back of the cc.  Of course I realize this would be darn near impossible.  I have a Visa with my local bank in hawaii.  Card will not be issued unless you agree to the bank taking a snapshot once your app is approved.  !
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.