Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences in Fico 9 compared to Fico 8

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Differences in Fico 9 compared to Fico 8

I noticed two things in the Fico 9 model. One, that it dings your score at least three times more, compared to the model 8, for having more of a revolving balance. Two, it raises the score more the closer your credit cards are to a zero balance. And lastly, Wells Fargo Bank uses the model 9.

So this tells me that either have very low balances or your cards played pff in full before you apply for new credit.

Anyone else like to add which other financial institutions use the fico 9?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Differences in Fico 9 compared to Fico 8

@CreditBob wrote:

I noticed two things in the Fico 9 model. One, that it dings your score at least three times for having more of a revolving balance. Two, it raises it more the closer your credit cards are to a zero balance. And lastly, Wells Fargo Bank uses the model 9.

FNBO also uses it. Checked my score this morning and they used EX FICO 9.

Message 2 of 8
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

My Fico 9 scores are universally lower than Fico 8 - I'm not looking for any new credit and I just refinanced the house at a great rate, so I really don't care but it does seem strange even if there is no effect on my availability for credit options. 

Message 3 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditBob wrote:

I noticed two things in the Fico 9 model. One, that it dings your score at least three times for having more of a revolving balance. Two, it raises it more the closer your credit cards are to a zero balance. And lastly, Wells Fargo Bank uses the model 9.

FNBO also uses it. Checked my score this morning and they used EX FICO 9.

Looks like FNBO has upgraded to FICO 9 Bankcard EX from FICO 8 Bankcard. Not the same as the standard FICO 9 scoring model.

Screenshot_20180525-080848.png

Message 4 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@CreditBob wrote:
I noticed two things in the Fico 9 model. One, that it dings your score at least three times more, compared to the model 8, for having more of a revolving balance. Two, it raises the score more the closer your credit cards are to a zero balance. And lastly, Wells Fargo Bank uses the model 9.

So this tells me that either have very low balances or your cards played pff in full before you apply for new credit.

Anyone else like to add which other financial institutions use the fico 9?

Not in every case. All of my FICO 9 scores are higher than FICO 8. EQ alone there's a 35 point difference in favor or FICO 9. My files are spotless. No baddies, no lates, nothing negative.

Message 5 of 8
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Fico 8 may be giving you demerits for too many accounts.Fico 9 appears to be more lenient.

Pasted below are score shifts: Fico 8 <=> Fico 9 for a TransUnion test study population:

TU Fico 9 crosstab.jpg

EQ Fico 9 compared to 8 and 4.jpg

My Fico 9 scores (industry enhanced BC version) are always lower than my Fico 8 counterparts. That's generally true for the Auto versions as well but, not always. No real difference between Classic Fico 8 and Classic Fico 9.

F8 - F9 graph.jpg

[Note: Classic Fico 9 added a 13th scorecard for further segmentation of revolving credit into high vs not high utilization]

Fico 9 info.jpg

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 8
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Note the reduction in top tier scores for thin files (Fico 9 compared to Fico 8).

Fico 9 thin files.jpg

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 8
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the great info!

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.