Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different types of credit, HELOCs, and their effect on FICO score

tag
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Different types of credit, HELOCs, and their effect on FICO score

This is taken from my ScoreWatch report:

Your FICO score evaluates your mix of credit cards, installment loans and mortgages. People who demonstrate responsible use of different types of credit are generally less risky to lenders.

I paid off my mortgage so long ago that it doesn't even show up in my credit files anymore. Will my new HELOC count as a "mortgage type" loan to give me some balance, or will it purely count as an installment loan? It's a $57,600 LOC.

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Re: Different types of credit, HELOCs, and their effect on FICO score

A HELOC is considered a revolving trade line. You could apply for a personal or auto loan which would be an installment type of trade line. How old are your accounts? Eventually you could reach a 800 fico score by allowing your credit cards to age. Try this & go ro www.bankrate.com/fico

Message 2 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditBob wrote:

A HELOC is considered a revolving trade line. You could apply for a personal or auto loan which would be an installment type of trade line. How old are your accounts? Eventually you could reach a 800 fico score by allowing your credit cards to age. Try this & go ro www.bankrate.com/fico

Only up to a certain amount. llecs explains this very well in another post from earlier today:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Affect-of-account-payoff-vs-new-home-equi...

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 5
geronimo2008
Regular Contributor

I believe taht marinevietvet is 100% correct in terms of howa HELOC SHOULD be represented.  I no longer havea balance on my HELOC but when I did it seemed to be constantly reclassifiedas either revolving and installment loan at least on TU  and this led to pretty wide swings in my TU FICO score.

I am not saying that thjis is supposed to happen and certainly not saying it will happen to you but it clearly is something that CAN happen and sometimes does.   BTW I trieda to correct i with TU a few times. It would always be reclassified and then some number of months later the situation would recur.     I learned to live with it.hopefully if it does happen to you it will not have an adverse effoect on you.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

And please note that we've had posters on these forums who have achieved an 800+ FICO with no mortgages reporting.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.