cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover minimum balance that will report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover minimum balance that will report?

Quick question. Sorry I know this info is somewhere, but I can't find it. Planning out my AZEO for a mortgage, and I want my Disco to report with a balance as low as possible without it going to $0. What is the magic number they will forgive?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover minimum balance that will report?

$3.00 will be reported. $2.99 or less will be forgiven and $0 reported.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Quick question. Sorry I know this info is somewhere, but I can't find it. Planning out my AZEO for a mortgage, and I want my Disco to report with a balance as low as possible without it going to $0. What is the magic number they will forgive?

I am curious to hear more about why you need your CC balance to be as low as possible.  Is it that your DTI ratio is a bit borderline, and a minimum payment of $8 (balance of $8) could push your DTI over the edge -- whereas a MP of $3 might not?

Message 4 of 14
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

This is a great way to earn some quick cash back. Smiley LOL

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arkanewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Absolutely; A bonus $35.88/yr!

Message 6 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@arkanewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

There are people here who purposely do that, although when the idea has been discussed, the consensus seems to be that it's probably better not to do that on a continuous basis.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found where I read up about this before - https://www.doctorofcredit.com/small-balance-waiver-a-k-a-lots-of-free-99-cent-amazon-gcs/

You can do it with a lot of cards. They state Discover will waive $2 max. Someone else can verify if BrutalBodyShots or DoC is correct. I'll test it in a few months if nobody else does after mortgage Smiley Tongue For now doing $3+.

@CreditGuyInDixie Yes, I am trying to get a mortgage at the max they will allow me. No worries on paying personally. SO is not being included and my salary will be increasing in December. Bigger concern is home price increases in my area and interest rates rising :/

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

You can do it with a lot of cards. They state Discover will waive $2 max. Someone else can verify if BrutalBodyShots or DoC is correct. I'll test it in a few months if nobody else does after mortgage Smiley Tongue For now doing $3+.

I can assure you my data is correct.  I started a thread on it here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Master-List-of-Lowest-Balances-CCCs-will-report/td-p/5083824

It's also worth noting that the article you linked from DoC was from 2014 and updated in March of 2017.  That means the Discover data point they're providing is from either 2014 or at the latest March 2017, where mine was from November 2017, more recent.  Just something to consider, as these things can no doubt change over time.  For all of my data points, I tested the whole number value as well as a penny above and below.  So, for example, for two bucks I have tested $1.99, $2.00 and $2.01.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymous

I can assure you my data is correct.  I started a thread on it here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Master-List-of-Lowest-Balances-CCCs-will-report/td-p/5083824

It's also worth noting that the article you linked from DoC was from 2014 and updated in March of 2017.  That means the Discover data point they're providing is from either 2014 or at the latest March 2017, where mine was from November 2017, more recent.  Just something to consider, as these things can no doubt change over time.  For all of my data points, I tested the whole number value as well as a penny above and below.  So, for example, for two bucks I have tested $1.99, $2.00 and $2.01.

Ahh good to know man. I wasn't saying you were incorrect. It is always good to have a 3rd party verify when two things conflict. It seems your data is more recent and more accurate then. I was already going with it to be safe Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.