Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Credit Utilization Have History?

tag
doctorofcredit
Valued Member

Does Credit Utilization Have History?

I'm just wondering if credit utilization has history. For example let's say I have one credit card with a limit of $100, I charge $90 to it and this balance is reported to the credi bureau.

My credit utilization is 90%. 

The next month I pay of $80, my utilization is now 10%. 

Now I apply for a loan, will the lender just see that my utilization is 10%? Or will they look at the history of my utilization as well?

TU08 - 823
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: Does Credit Utilization Have History?

no there is no history/memory. Its whatever your utilization that's was reported as of last statement on your credit report.
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Short answer, no. Your utilization has no memory. Your scores are a snapshot at the time your reports are pulled. FICO has no memory of your util.
Message 3 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, there is no utilization history but some creditors have started showing payments made. 

Message 4 of 17
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

hmm.. good to know.

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting ... my scores went up because I increased my credit lines by $21,200 and paid down a little on outstanding balances.
Message 6 of 17
blondy250
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting ... my scores went up because I increased my credit lines by $21,200 and paid down a little on outstanding balances.
Its almost always good to increase your overall credit lines (99% of the time), it will result in an overall decrease in your utilization which is overall a very important factor. This is credit score 101. However what the op is talking about is having high utilization one month, of course you'll take a FICO hit if you pulled your scores after reporting date. Fico has no memory, in that if you then pay down your utilization the very next month your score will go back up after its reported. 

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 7 of 17
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Fico score wise not but I have seen on the report the payment amount of over 6K on my Freedom with a 4K limit. Not sure how this will look to other lenders on manual review ?
Message 8 of 17
Regular Contributor

I pulled my free annual report from Transunion and it definitely does have historical utilization starting in 05/11. This number is only the reported amount at the end of the billing cycle though so it isn't too accurate. From my understanding FICO does not take this into account, but the data is there if they or any other scoring company wants to use it.

Message 9 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@92235 wrote:

I pulled my free annual report from Transunion and it definitely does have historical utilization starting in 05/11. This number is only the reported amount at the end of the billing cycle though so it isn't too accurate. From my understanding FICO does not take this into account, but the data is there if they or any other scoring company wants to use it.

Would you be willing to post that?  I have never seen a report show historical utilization.  Some creditors do show historical balances which is not the same as utilization.but could be figured out knowing the CL.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.