cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the "Disputed by Customer" Really ding your score? How to remove?

tag
fatjoe8

Does the "Disputed by Customer" Really ding your score? How to remove?

I have disputed multiple accounts for different reasons and some say "Account unchanged since May 2008 dispute," or "Account disputed by customer." Does this impact my score? Who do I contact to fix? Credit card company or credit report bureau?

American Express Blue Cash $10k Chase Southwest Visa $12k BOA Cash Rewards $9,000 BOA Spirit Airlines $9,000 Citi American Airlines $2,000 Wells Fargo Cash Back $3,000 GE Paypal $4,250 Discover IT $3,800 1st Florida Credit Union $4,000 Priceline Barclay Visa $5,100 LanPass Visa $6,000
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does the "Disputed by Customer" Really ding your score? How to remove?

@fatjoe8 wrote:

I have disputed multiple accounts for different reasons and some say "Account unchanged since May 2008 dispute," or "Account disputed by customer." Does this impact my score? Who do I contact to fix? Credit card company or credit report bureau?

Dispute comments alone can either help, hurt, or not impact your FICO. It depends on what is being disputed and how it reports. A dispute will have zero impact on your FICO if the account is a collection agency or public record. A dispute can impact an original creditor (e.g. a CC). FICO will ignore the balance, CL (if a CC), and the payment history. So, if the CC is reporting with a bunch of lates or is a charge-off or hurting your overall revolving utilization, then your FICO could be artifically propped up for as long as the comment remains. Conversely, if the CC is helping your revolving utilization then it's possible that the dispute comment is hurting your FICO. YMMV on how it reports and how it reports in relation to everything else. All of these are reasons why many mortgage lenders will require dispute comments to disappear as a condition for approval.

I don't think "Account unchanged since May 2008 dispute" would be scored by FICO. "Account disputed by customer" is viewed as a disputed by FICO and FICO would be ignoring the balance, CL, and payment history of that acct. If ever wanting to know, you can pull your FICO report from here. Look in the Accounts page. If the account in question is a negative (with one or more lates) and there is no red flag next to the account on the Accounts page, then FICO is ignoring the payment history.

If you wanted it fixed, you can ask the creditor to remove the comment. If after a few attempts that doesn't work, then contact the CRA.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.