Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EQ score stuck?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ score stuck?

Help! What is going on? It seems that no matter what I do, my hubby's score does not change. (I do all our bill paying and business managing)

His EQ score has not budged since last April when it dropped from 716 to 706 as we started shopping for a refi and I assumed the inquiries probably started to ding him. At one point during that refi process I paid down our joint Chase United Visa in an attempt to bump up our scores and while mine jumped 30 points! into the 740's his did not budge one point. Is that strange?

We PIF every month, but after reading the forum for advice I have tried paying down cc balances before they report. This hasn't touched his score. For several months our old mtg showed as PIF and the new one did not report. That had no effect. Now the new one is reporting, but even that new added debt has not touched his score. Does this sound strange? I would expect at least a point or two in one direction or another wouldn't you? Any words of wisdom?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: EQ score stuck?

@Anonymous wrote:

Help! What is going on? It seems that no matter what I do, my hubby's score does not change. (I do all our bill paying and business managing)

His EQ score has not budged since last April when it dropped from 716 to 706 as we started shopping for a refi and I assumed the inquiries probably started to ding him. At one point during that refi process I paid down our joint Chase United Visa in an attempt to bump up our scores and while mine jumped 30 points! into the 740's his did not budge one point. Is that strange?

We PIF every month, but after reading the forum for advice I have tried paying down cc balances before they report. This hasn't touched his score. For several months our old mtg showed as PIF and the new one did not report. That had no effect. Now the new one is reporting, but even that new added debt has not touched his score. Does this sound strange? I would expect at least a point or two in one direction or another wouldn't you? Any words of wisdom?

Hello and welcome.

May I ask where you get your EQ score? That might seem like a strange question but not every place you can buy a "credit score" is reliable.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it from MYFICO.com.

Message 3 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I got it from MYFICO.com.

Then at least you know you have a true FICO score.  Smiley Happy

I'm still thinking of reasons why his scored has not changed. Not any points up or down?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you saved all the reports from each time that you pull his reports? (Actually, of course, he is supposed to be the one pulling his reports, but I know how this goes.)

If you've saved them, what's happening with the negative factors on screen 2, on the left? Are they changing order, or are new ones showing up and old ones disappearing, and so forth?

It sounds like util is not much of a factor in his scores, which could well happen, depending on his length of history, presence of severe negatives, and so forth.

Sudden thought: you are pulling fresh score reports, right, not just waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for a Scorewatch alert?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response!

In April the negative factors were: serious delinquency ( 3.3 yrs ago a Verizon bill went to collections. We moved, the bill went to our old address, we paid it as soon as we got it, but I've tried and gotten no sympathy from Verizon.), no recent actvity on credit cards & short credit history (AAoA 9yrs).

In  June (when the score dropped) the negative factors were: serious delinquency (same as above, everything else is on time), too many recent credit inquiries (3) and no recent activity on CCs. (Now the length of credit history is on the plus side but AAoA is still 9 years. ?)

In November & December the negatives are the same as in June but on the positives side I am seeing the AAoA has dropped to 7 years. (Now 7 years is on the plus side when 9 years was on the negative?)

One thing that is confusing to me is that on the plus side there is: bills paid on time, length of credit history & low usage (0%-3%), but when I try the program for "best action to take to raise my score" it says to "pay down credit card balances 90-100% over the next 6 months. Since I PIF every month and have been paying to less than 10% before they report (I thought it was beneficial to show a small balance) I don't understand this. Should I PIF before they report?

I am wondering if it is the type of CCs that are the problem.

He is an AU on our AA Advantage MC (40k+ limit) but since they don't report a CL......

We have a joint Chase United PLus Visa (10k limit) but I just read (and noticed) that they report as "open" not revolving.

He has one of those new Macy's AmEx cards with a  1k limit.

He is an AU on a Home Depot Card with a 2.5k limit.

He has a Toyota Lease that is about to expire.

He has a joint mortgage.

Everything is in good standing.

He has lots of inactive cards and closed accounts. I have tried to reactivate the inactive ones to no avail. They all claim closed even if not reporting that way. Before we understood the scoring/reporting system he had a habit if not using and closing accountsSmiley Sad

So......Any advice for the best course of action? I am wondering if it should be a new credit card that reports a CL? I was going to try for a CLI on the Chase card but it seems like that is pointless.

One final question: We need a new car lease. Should it be in my name to avoid the hard pull & shorter history or is it better to have it in his?

Thanks so much for your help. We really need his score up past 720 because we want to renovate and will need a HELOC later this year.

Message 6 of 16
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

In his myFICO EQ report, is the ratio of revolving balances to credit limits listed anywhere, and if so, what's the percentage?

Message 7 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

On your husband's report, the fact that the listed negatives are what they are means that he's just going to have to wait it out:

• serious delinquency
  • too many recent credit inquiries
  • short credit history
  • no recent actvity on credit cards

Other than the "no recent activity" bit, this is all just stuff that will take time. The serious delinquency will hurt less with time, but he'll always be in a negative score bucket (aka scorecard) until it falls off. The recent inqs will stop being scored after one year, although they remain on the full credit report for two. Short history (see more below) just needs more time. What is his AAoA and his age of oldest account? (both matter)

The fact that high util is not listed as a factor means that there's not a lot that he could do on that. In fact, it looks like he needs to let 5 bucks report on a card (the "no recent activity" bit.) Since FICO scoring is risk scoring, it needs to see responsible use of credit. In other words, both things: responsible + usage.

On the following, is this your report or his?

One thing that is confusing to me is that on the plus side there is: bills paid on time, length of credit history & low usage (0%-3%), but when I try the program for "best action to take to raise my score" it says to "pay down credit card balances 90-100% over the next 6 months. Since I PIF every month and have been paying to less than 10% before they report (I thought it was beneficial to show a small balance) I don't understand this. Should I PIF before they report?

Do you let balances report on every card, every time? You only need one to report a token balance. If you let all or too many of your cards report balances, you can get dinged. As another member memorably has in his/her (I think her) siggy, "Dinged if you do, and dinged if you don't."

Length of history looks at both oldest reporting account and AAoA. I sometimes get dinged on short history because my oldest account is over 20 years old, but my AAoA just dropped under 5 years again, partially courtesy of a data breach at PenFed, and they replaced a 10-month-old card, and now it reports twice, lowering my AAoA. Smiley Tongue  So "short history" might mean short oldest account, short AAoA, or short AAoA in comparison with the oldest account.

As for the confusion with the migrating factors between negative and "positive" factors, the fact is that the list of positives is really just sort of a warm-fuzzy thing. There isn't really a list of "positive factors" for FICO scoring. The things that show up on the positive side are actually negatives or potential negatives that are hurting you the least. That's why you'll see the same thing hop back and forth.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your responses. To answer the first (My-OWN-FICO): Yes, the ratio of revolving balances to CL was 3% on the most recent report. Previously was 0%.

And to answer the other questions (HAULING THE SCORE UP):His AAoA is 7 years, oldest account 21+ years., And yes, I am talking only about his report not mine.

All of your input is helpful if frustrating to see behind the curtain. I guess I am still left wondering if it would be helpful to open another account. In the end he only really has 4 open CCs. The AAdvantage MC doesn't report a CL (He is an AU), the Chase United Plus Visa doesn't report as revolving, the Macy's Amex has only a 1k CL and the Home Depot only has a 2500CL and he is only an AU on that too. Does he need more revolving credit that reports? Would that help build credit long term?

And finally, since we are going to lease another car this weekend, do you have an opinion about whether it should be in his name or mine? What is the value of the credit vs the impact of another inquiry & another new account?

Thanks so much for your time!

Message 9 of 16
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your responses. To answer the first (My-OWN-FICO): Yes, the ratio of revolving balances to CL was 3% on the most recent report. Previously was 0%.

Interesting, because usually 3% is a good chunk of score points higher than 0%, but you said his score didn't change?

The ratio can be 0% for one of two reasons: either the cards for calculating the util have a balance total of $0, or there are no cards used for calculating the util. You would want to find out where the 3% are coming from, could be just one card's monthly balance vs reported limit.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.