cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EX FICO 2: Not Using Revolving Credit

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: EX FICO 2: Experian CMS issue or wonkiness?

Well that is an interesting bit @SouthJamica and thank you for posting that.

One somewhat obvious similarity is that it is all credit unions and one CL > 35k in your case which absolutely matched mine with a CU card and another > 35k limit bankcard.

Either it is just broken which seems unlikely as the algorithm is the algorithm or that may well be the pattern TBH and not only are outsized tradelines discounted but credit union cards perhaps too.

Need another datapoint or two, come on forum people! Smiley Happy

        
Message 11 of 22
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Does Fico 98 ignore pure play store cards as revolving (those not co-branded with Visa or Mastercard or AMEX)?

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 12 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure TT, I didn’t have access to FICO 98 reliably when I had a Wally card and don’t have any store cards to try testing that but it is something that should be checked if we can.

We’ve always recommended using a national bank card for AZEO when it mattered but I don’t recall seeing any good data previously suggesting what may or may not count other than FICO 8 didn’t care and I don’t think FICO 04 did either from what I could test back when Scorewatch was here.

We do get FICO 3 from Experian too, I will double check that one but I strongly suspect there are some exclusions to FICO at this point which I hadn’t thought were a thing personally... like I can’t fathom a reason why CU credit cards might be discounted under any model but their inquiries are differentiated maybe their credit lines are too from this calculation.

Just seems weird, but now that I think of it FICO NG differentiated tradelines including retail cards specifically, and FICO 98 pre-dates it so perhaps not so weird after all from a product development perspective.

        
Message 13 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
Well that is an interesting bit @SouthJamica and thank you for posting that.

One somewhat obvious similarity is that it is all credit unions and one CL > 35k in your case which absolutely matched mine with a CU card and another > 35k limit bankcard.

Either it is just broken which seems unlikely as the algorithm is the algorithm or that may well be the pattern TBH and not only are outsized tradelines discounted but credit union cards perhaps too.

Need another datapoint or two, come on forum people! Smiley Happy

I'm going with "broken".

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I had an AU store card count on EX2, so it doesn't ignore retail. I'm about to test a Carecredit. Depending on results, I could test a CU or a non-AU retail. Leaning toward retail, cuz my AU retail is ignored by FICO 8.
Message 15 of 22
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
OK, I had an AU store card count on EX2, so it doesn't ignore retail I don't think. I'm about to test a Carecredit. Depending on results, I could test a CU or a non-AU retail. Leaning toward retail, cuz my AU retail is ignored by FICO 8.

Was your store card a pure play or cobranded with Visa/MasterCard/AMEX?

Testing a credit union card would be of interest. 

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

No sir, TT, straight up pure store card, no co-brand.

I have established that the AU retail card does not count for purposes of FICO 8, but does for EX2:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/AU-efficacy-test/m-p/5566440#M153581

But another member had a NON-AU retail card (Carecredit) not count for FICO 8:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/DP-for-AZEO-and-AU-accounts/m-p/5566450#...

Consequently I am about to test my carecredit and see its results on my FICO 8 and EX2. After that I have a choice of three cards: A non-AU retail card (other than carecredit) or one of two CU Visa cards. Who knows I may go another month and test both. Y’all have me curious and enjoying the mystery. Y’all have got me addicted to the FICO bug.
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on recent information reported from the OP in the other thread, his carecredit did in fact count on his EX2, just not his classic 8.

If I have similar results, I think I’m going to close my carecredit account which would quickly report a zero balance and allow me to perform the next test including results on EX2.

If I choose the CU card, I think I’ll avoid the élan backed one since it’s more likely to report like a national bankcard considering it’s a subsidiary of USB.

I just don’t understand why a retail card like carecredit would not count for classic 8.
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, Revelate, TT and SJ, I have spoken with Cassiecard and he has a PSCU CC. PSCU is the largest processor for CU CCs.

In any event I had him go back and check. When that was his only TL with a balance EX2 was 727. When a second TL reported a balance, he lost six points to 721, indicating the PSCU CC is counting for EX2 purposes.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/The-All-At-Just-Under-8-99-Utilization-e...

Consequently I think we can conclude if the CU CC processor is PSCU, it will count, and I don’t believe that I need to test my PSCU CU CC. I think a better test would be either the Elan CU CC for EX2 or my non-AU retail card for classic 8 purposes.

There is definitely something going on with CU CC reporting and I’m wondering what processor it is tied to. Anyone know who the payment processor for DCU is?
Message 19 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think Elan is a CU Smiley Happy.

        
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.