Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian 15 point drop

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian 15 point drop

My hubbys fico score has dropped 15 points (744 to 729) and we can't understand why.

He currently has 7 accounts and is the AU on one of mine.  His utilization is as follows:

Revolver 1 26%

Revolver 2 < 1%

Revolver 3  0%

Revolver 4 6%

Store Card  0%

Store Card 0%

Paypal Credit 23%

AU on Revolver 0%

His average age of Credit 13 yrs.

The only difference in the reports is that the card he is an AU on was paid to 0% (from 5% utilization).  Also the CL was increased from 7K to 15k.

Could that have caused the drop?  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Experian 15 point drop

Welcome @Anonymous 

Might be more than half the accounts are reporting a balance. FICO likes less than the total number of accounts reporting. AZEO or all zero except 1 is the highest pt gain. CL's dont mean anything to FICO. Just whats reported percentage -wise. Less than 8.9% is the best place to be. If you have all acounts report a balance thats a hit. If none report a balance thats a hit also. He has enough revovlers. Really dont need an AU card unless it being used for something.

Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Where are you getting your scores from?  Even a 740 is low for a clean sheet of average 13 years even with as noted above slightly ugly revolving utilization (and I mean slightly, you're not in a bad place).  I'm pretty sure I'm not dropping below 780 even at <6 years average history on Experian when I do my revolvers with balance testing after my mortgage fiesta is done.

That said we've seen some really strange idiosyncracies with AU accounts over time.

        
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The only difference in the reports is that the card he is an AU on was paid to 0% (from 5% utilization). 

Yes, it seems that is exactly what caused it. See this post from forum member 'iv'.

The entire thread has more information on this. 16pt drop when AU CC was paid down to zero, why? 

EDIT: Meant this thread: AU experiment & score drops from small balance to $0 balance 

Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My hubbys fico score has dropped 15 points (744 to 729) and we can't understand why.

He currently has 7 accounts and is the AU on one of mine.  His utilization is as follows:

Revolver 1 26%

Revolver 2 < 1%

Revolver 3  0%

Revolver 4 6%

Store Card  0%

Store Card 0%

Paypal Credit 23%

AU on Revolver 0%

His average age of Credit 13 yrs.

The only difference in the reports is that the card he is an AU on was paid to 0% (from 5% utilization).  Also the CL was increased from 7K to 15k.

I don't see how either of those could have caused a drop.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.