Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian 20pts lower?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian 20pts lower?

Why is my fico score 20 Pts lower than my trans and EQ when it has everything exactly the same. Even actually 1 or 2 less inquires ? I don't understand that
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian 20pts lower?

Scores can vary between bureaus.  It's just the way it is.  20 points is pretty common.  The maximum I've heard of is 36 points between scores with idential bureau information.    

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Why is my fico score 20 Pts lower than my trans and EQ when it has everything exactly the same. Even actually 1 or 2 less inquires ? I don't understand that

BBS makes a good point, but I'd like to press you a bit more about how exactly the same they are.  You mentioned inquiries being different... is it possible inquiries on the lower score are newer?

Also, are you getting alll 3 bureaus' scores from the same source?  If not, there is a chance they could be using different score models.  

Sometimes one needs to check closely to make sure everything is reportingly exactly the same, such as average age of accounts, etc.  If everything checks out after going over it with a fine tooth comb, then what BBS said is about all there is to go by.  

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even things like inquiries (both being added on and aging to being unscoreable) impact the different bureaus and models different ways.  I've heard of people taking say 1-2 inquiries on each bureau at the same time, and they'll report no scoring change on one of them, maybe 4 points on another and say 8 points on the third.  Right there you have an 8 point variance between the first bureau and the third one and that's with inquiries which only impact a 10% slice of the FICO pie. 

Message 4 of 9
torebuild2014
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi mandalee_1. My experian is 35 points lower than both by EQ and TU report with the same data. One of the things that I found in the calculation is that my 2nd mortgage/line of credit is a part of my revolving credit on EX, which drives my utilization up and ultimately lowering my score on EX. It does not appear to do the same on the other two. Maybe see if there are some differences in loan status (i.e. is there an installment loan calculating into your revolving utilization).

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@torebuild2014 wrote:

Hi mandalee_1. My experian is 35 points lower than both by EQ and TU report with the same data. One of the things that I found in the calculation is that my 2nd mortgage/line of credit is a part of my revolving credit on EX, which drives my utilization up and ultimately lowering my score on EX. It does not appear to do the same on the other two. Maybe see if there are some differences in loan status (i.e. is there an installment loan calculating into your revolving utilization).

torebuild2014, you are saying that your loan is being viewed differently by EQ and TU than it is by EX, which by definition means that you do not have "the same data" across all 3 bureaus, so your 3 scores are not being compared apples to apples.

Message 6 of 9
torebuild2014
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@torebuild2014 wrote:

torebuild2014, you are saying that your loan is being viewed differently by EQ and TU than it is by EX, which by definition means that you do not have "the same data" across all 3 bureaus, so your 3 scores are not being compared apples to apples.

I see your point and agree with you. When I look at an account without the analysis of how the account is being calculated, some may not see that the account is being included in the revolving credit vs installment and therefore being calculated differently.

I think most people would look at thier report to see if the same information: Example Bank Mortgage "A" , see it is reported on TU, EQ, and EX not realizing that the mortgage may be calculated differently across all platforms. It was after further review that I saw that the acocunt data is calculating different. This is why I bring the point up since the data is not the same across the bureaus even though it is the same account and could be causing scoring differences especially if people only look at the account itself and not how it is being calculated (i.e. installment vs revolving). 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@torebuild2014 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@torebuild2014 wrote:

I see your point and agree with you. When I look at an account without the analysis of how the account is being calculated, some may not see that the account is being included in the revolving credit vs installment and therefore being calculated differently.

I think most people would look at there report to see if the same information: Example Bank Mortgage "A" , see it is reported on TU, EQ, and EX not realizing that the mortgage may be calculated differently across all platforms. It was after further review that I saw that the acocunt data is calculating different. This is why I bring the point up since the data is not the same across the bureaus even though it is the same account and could be causing scoring differences especially if people only look at the account itself and not how it is being calculated (i.e. installment vs revolving). 

This type of thing is a good catch and part of the big tent of possibilities I was telling the OP that they could look for.  To the average Joe on the street, everything may appear to be the same, whereas many on here might have an inkling it isn't and look a bit more closely, which is what my post tried to encourage! lol  Excellent job of illustration!

Message 8 of 9
torebuild2014
Regular Contributor

Smiley Happy
@Anonymous wrote:

@torebuild2014 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@torebuild2014 wrote:

I think most people would look at there report to see if the same information: Example Bank Mortgage "A" , see it is reported on TU, EQ, and EX not realizing that the mortgage may be calculated differently across all platforms. It was after further review that I saw that the acocunt data is calculating different. This is why I bring the point up since the data is not the same across the bureaus even though it is the same account and could be causing scoring differences especially if people only look at the account itself and not how it is being calculated (i.e. installment vs revolving). 

This type of thing is a good catch and part of the big tent of possibilities I was telling the OP that they could look for.  To the average Joe on the street, everything may appear to be the same, whereas many on here might have an inkling it isn't and look a bit more closely, which is what my post tried to encourage! lol  Excellent job of illustration!

Hello CaptainJ and thank you for your reply. I understand the OP's  frustration in trying to compare apples to apples, unfortunately I have had to learn that the bureaus don't plant their seeds in the same soil😀. I hate the equity on my EX being included in my revolving debt, especially since it is now actually an installment loan.( hybrid equity with the back half fixed rate, fixed payment installment). I wish the differences were a bit more transparent to be able to see.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.