Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO 8 Removed authorized users from open accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO 8 Removed authorized users from open accounts

I am an authorized user on my husbands credit card accounts.  I just watched my FICO Score drop 70 points because FICO 8 removed authorized users from open accounts that were previously reported on authorized users credit reports. BUT, they did not remove those same accounts from Balances owed. My credit report has taken a real hit. Seems like they should not have it both ways. Remove the open accounts from authorized users credit reports and remove the corresponding account balances too.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: FICO 8 Removed authorized users from open accounts

I'm interested in what you are saying, but it's not clear to me  Can you please explain in greater detail?

Are you saying FICO just made a new change in how it scores?  What is the source of your information?

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO 8 no longer scores authorized users on accounts as was in previous models. My previous score was 712, showed 7 accounts open and paid on time. 6 of those accounts I was an authorized user on my husbands credit cards, one I am joint owner. My credit score just dropped , nothing had changed on my report to warrent the drop in my score. So I contacted Experian

When I contacted Experian they said it was because I have only 1 open account. I pointed out that 7 open  accounts show on my credit report. They said yes that is because of the balances of those 7 accounts are reportable for the purpose of $$ owed. So it was explained with FICO 8 that authorized users will no longer factor into the FICO score as was in previous models. Bottom line for AUTHORIZED USERS the only account data factored into their FICO8 scores is  the amount of balances and debt. As a result my FICO score dropped to 634 because only 1 account is factored.

Right or Wrong sure hope this makes sense since that is the way Experian explained to me.

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

My FICO08 scores are fine, and they're entirely held up by my AU accounts, my personal tradelines wouldn't be supporting anything close to scores in the 700s

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wouldn't they have had to put out an entirely new model? Do they just randomly change existing models like that?

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian only one doing that. Just talked to them and said that information I was given is correct and only resolution is to dispute the accounts that I am only an authorized user and get them removed. 😳 

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

alright, i find it strange that the boards aren't blowing up with many people saying the same thing, guess i'll just keep an eye on my EX score for now

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can only relay what happened to me and the explanation from Experian.

Log on to your Experian Account

Select Score

Select What is Hurting Your Score

Select Few Current Accounts

If the number of open paid accounts does not match that number, then you need to check with Experian for an Explanation.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't use experian
Message 9 of 26
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The explanation you are getting from EX is no longer correct. Initially yes Fico8 did remove AU accounts from being factored in but that was reversed after many complaints and was re-instated into the model. If you only have 1 card in your own name I would advise that you obtain at minimum 2 more in your own name, you will need this to drive your score especially with lenders that completely discount AUs in any way shape or form. I would look elsewhere for an explanation of the score drop.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.