Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO/Experian Confusion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO/Experian Confusion

Hello, I posted in the Rebuilding section about a GW letter, but thought I should ask the following question here. I couldn't be more confused. 

June 29: I go 30 days late on my Wells loan

October 31: I go 30 days late on my Wells loan again (long story)

I didn't know I had any delinquencies until:

11-3: Receive an update from Kroll that I had ONE delinquency. Alert date of 11-3, but status date of 10-31. 

11-4: TU score from Discover drops to 649, versus 700 on 10-4

Week of 11-4: Get a letter from Amex that they're lowering my credit limit due partly to the new delinquency reported. They cite an EXP score of 653 as of 11-3, and the "key factors contributing to my FICO score" included a late payment. 

11-9: I call Wells, they explain that the reported late was way back on June 29, and there was also an October 31 late that likely wasn't reported yet, but it would be. No explanation as to why the June 29 late didn't show up until 4 months later. 

11-10: I fax in a GW to Wells. 

11-13: Amex sends another note, saying that they're lowering my credit limit to $1000 due partly to a late payment. Umm, thanks Amex, but you already said that. I assume this is the second delinquency rearing its head? OK, but this time, they cite an EXP score of 709 as of 11-10. Huh? I know the GW couldn't kick in that fast, especially since 11-10 was a Saturday. Still, though, how did I get those 50 points back? Also, the "key factors" no longer included anything about a late payment. 

11-15-18: Kroll lets me know that Wells has now reported that second delinquency. Alert date of 11-15, but status date of 10-31. 

11-18: I check my FICO 8 on the Amex site, and it is now saying 718 as of 11-14. **bleep**?

11-18: I check Experian.com. Celebration over. It's still in the 650 range as of 11-17-18, but citing ONE delinquency with a status update date of 10-1-18. 

So, I assume that I'll see the Experian score fall further once that second delinquency kicks in. I also assume that Amex is wrong on all fronts due to some sort of date issue, but I can't see how. The 653 that they cited on 11-3 clearly includes a delinquency since my EXP FICO score hadn't been that low in many years. What I know is that I am confused and I may just be fundamentally misunderstanding how things are reported.

Any thoughts here?  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: FICO/Experian Confusion

A lot to sort out there OP! I can understand you being confused. Sometimes the timing of info reported from a lender can be off a bit, compared to real time. The same can be said for how quickly a lender sends an update to the credit bureau, then how fast the reflection of that update shows on whatever site you use to pull your reports.

There certainly seems to be some confusion here, but I would say that the 650 score is more likely close to where you should be, even if only the one late reported so far. More time may need to pass for things to shake out and settle down to what the final situation wil be. I hope the GW's work for you!! It would be unfortunate for these new lates to remain on your reports for up to 7 years.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK I will ignore the Amex inconsistency, it's just not making any sense to me. But as for the GW's, no news is good news, they said that if they WEREN'T going to honor it I'd get a letter and I don't have anything at this point. They said that if they would honor it I'd get nothing, it would just come off my report. I was 30 days late on one and 32 days late on another because I didn't understand day counts. I don't know what they'll do but it's been a very devastating time for me to see 50 points gone. Any ideas on how long it typically takes for baddies to come off after the banks decide to honor GW's?

@RonM21 wrote:
A lot to sort out there OP! I can understand you being confused. Sometimes the timing of info reported from a lender can be off a bit, compared to real time. The same can be said for how quickly a lender sends an update to the credit bureau, then how fast the reflection of that update shows on whatever site you use to pull your reports.

There certainly seems to be some confusion here, but I would say that the 650 score is more likely close to where you should be, even if only the one late reported so far. More time may need to pass for things to shake out and settle down to what the final situation wil be. I hope the GW's work for you!! It would be unfortunate for these new lates to remain on your reports for up to 7 years.

Message 3 of 5
DollyLama
Established Contributor

If they remove it, possibly up to 45-60 days, could be sooner, but not more than 2 billing cycles. 

Your AMEX scores, are they based off TU Vantage Scores and not FICO 8s, creating further for you?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DollyLama wrote:

If they remove it, possibly up to 45-60 days, could be sooner, but not more than 2 billing cycles. 

Your AMEX scores, are they based off TU Vantage Scores and not FICO 8s, creating further for you?

Hey there. The Amex scores are Experian Fico 8 according to the site. In other threads, it looks like the scores Amex provides typically match what's on Experian.com, but obviously not for me. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.