Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score inclusions

tag
CC2013
New Visitor

FICO Score inclusions

I have just checked my score for the first time since I am a recent college graduate and saving for a home purchase.  My score was in the very good range with no late credit card payments and nothing delinquent.  I have credit cards listed that are my parents accounts and I am an authorized user.  As an example, one AMEX account was established in 1984 and I was born in 1989. This looks like  Is this a good thing or a bad thing?  I do not have any credit cards in exclusively in my name.  Should I open an account to pay regularly?  Should I have my name removed as an authorized user?  After reading all of this information I am concerned about any sudden moves or inquiries and the potential negative impact to my scores. 

I'm hoping to improve my score to excellent (an additional 35 points) before I make any mortgage applications.  Thoughts?  Advice? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO Score inclusions

I do think you need to add maybe a couple of revolving accounts in your name.  Your file is thin, it needs to be thickened up a bit to make it healthy.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think that you should remain as an AU on the American Express.

I think that you should apply for a new American Express Account in your own name.  Also, you may want to pick up a store card or two so that you can begin to establish credit in your own name.

When you get the new account, make sure that your "Member Since" date is 1984... otherwise call them and ask them to change that for you.

What are your scores now?  what is the timeline of your proposed home purchase?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I concur, it would be good to open another revolving account or two.   Given your history with AMEX you might consider applying with them.

And don't worry about your existing AMEX card being older than you, it shouldn't be an issue with anyone.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I think that you should apply for a new American Express Account in your own name.  Also, you may want to pick up a store card or two so that you can begin to establish credit in your own name.

When you get the new account, make sure that your "Member Since" date is 1984... otherwise call them and ask them to change that for you.

Which amex card would be easiest to try for to just get your foot in the door. I was thinking of trying to get BCE sometime next spring , but wanted one amex to get my feet in the door, which could help bce app later down the road.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Which amex card would be easiest to try for to just get your foot in the door. I was thinking of trying to get BCE sometime next spring , but wanted one amex to get my feet in the door, which could help bce app later down the road.

The charge cards are generally easier for approvals than the revolving cards.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.