Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Scoring

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

FICO Scoring

I understand FICO looks into 5 categories and assigns the scores. Is there any way to find out how that is composed into my current scores. For instance it says 553. How do I know how that 553 is derived and in what categories the score is assigned to come up with that number  553.  Any suggestions ?

6 REPLIES 6
silver_idle
Established Contributor

Re: FICO Scoring

It might be better to ask that question at in the "Understanding FICO Scoring" section.

Message 2 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

If you mean the percentage breakdown of how a score is calculated and how much weight is given to certain aspects, you can find that information here:

https://www.myfico.com/credit-education/whats-in-your-credit-score

If you mean what is the exact formula used to come up with your score, that is proprietary and there is no way to know.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
If you mean the percentage breakdown of how a score is calculated and how much weight is given to certain aspects, you can find that information here:

I am trying to figure out. When I am trying to boost scores what areas I need to boost. The 5 areas FICO looks into. 

1. Payment History: old payment history with out lot of work GW. That is a stretch. New accounts and new payment history will come into picture in the next 6-12 months and start adding to score.

2.  New credit:  This account ding will over come in 12-18 months. 

3. Credit Utilizaton: Some of the accounts charged off but, hopefully by settling and paying them off can help some gain in the score. Probably this an area to focus.

4. Credit Mix, I already have both installment and credit cards. That is not going to change much.

5.  Length of Credit History: This is not going to change overnight and not much we can do to improve the score.

The only thing I can do is try to pay off the charge off accounts and collection accounts and let things age and wait. It would be good to know where I am taking hit and how to improve. 

Message 4 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yes, the ones you can improve on and see success quickly are the charge offs, as charge offs are considered maxed accounts that severely hurt your utilization. If you can pay/settle all your COs, your score should see some nice improvement. Payment history and length of history will take time to build up.

If you have collections, you can try to do PFD if possible, because the presence of collections on your report also hurts your scores.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Yes, the ones you can improve on and see success quickly are the charge offs, as charge offs are considered maxed accounts that severely hurt your utilization. If you can pay/settle all your COs, your score should see some nice improvement. Payment history and length of history will take time to build up.

Thanks. That is what I am thinking too.

Message 6 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

I am trying to figure out. When I am trying to boost scores what areas I need to boost. The 5 areas FICO looks into. 

1. Payment History: old payment history with out lot of work GW. That is a stretch. New accounts and new payment history will come into picture in the next 6-12 months and start adding to score.

2.  New credit:  This account ding will over come in 12-18 months. 

3. Credit Utilizaton: Some of the accounts charged off but, hopefully by settling and paying them off can help some gain in the score. Probably this an area to focus.

4. Credit Mix, I already have both installment and credit cards. That is not going to change much.

5.  Length of Credit History: This is not going to change overnight and not much we can do to improve the score.

The only thing I can do is try to pay off the charge off accounts and collection accounts and let things age and wait. It would be good to know where I am taking hit and how to improve. 

In your case the single most impactful thing for you to work on is trying to get rid of the negatives. I know you don't have control over how that plays out, but you should devote effort to trying. Sending verification letters to the bureaus is one way to sometimes get rid of some of them.

The second most important thing, over which you do have control, is utilization. You should try to get (a) as many revolving accounts as possible reporting a zero balance, (b) less than 9% aggregate reported utilization and (c) less than 29% individual account reported utilization.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.