Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*FICO is a Scam*

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: *FICO is a Scam*

I'm perfectly "Chill."  Your concern is much appreciated, though.

Message 21 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the responses, after reading through the replys and doing some additional research I have a few responses back to some of the posters.

1. My $2K per month payments are solely to my main CC (Capital One Venture), I typically kept a revolving balance of ~$1.5K which is less than 10% of the card's limit.  I recently was advised to try and keep the balance around $500 to see my score improve.  My recent payment of $3K, which was made late last week, dropped my score with EQ 25 points on Monday of this week which based on info from MyFico, was due to the reduction in my revolving line on that card.  Where as the other two CRA's increased my score by 1 point.
  2. There was a poster(s) that insinuated that I was trying to get back into "debt"and that my score was warranted.  This is simply not the case at all, as stated in my first post, I checked my score because I received a notification about a change.  With the craziness of identity theft I wanted to check in and make sure that nothing was amiss.
  3. While income is not factored into your FICO score, as your income increases typically your lines of credit increase meaning you will have a lower credit utilization, barring an increase in spending.  This is a factor in your score meaning there is typically a correlation to income and FICO score, albeit not direct.  Yes, I understand correlation does not equal causation.
  4. If the scoring system is not a scam, why is it that there is no standardized scoring method, why can lenders choose the lower score or higher score?  How can the same company provide scores, which all can be used, where I have a variance of 50+ points in some cases?  How can scores across scoring companies be vastly different and be used for providing rates (Vantage vs FICO).  Why are outdated scores used when newer, more accurate scores are available?  Just asking questions, as from my viewpoint it seems that lenders are drawn to lower scores in order to increase their profits, rather than "protecting themselves".  FICO enables this action by not clearing outdated scoring and providing the most accurate score to the lender, which should be done so as to ensure an optimal transaction for both parties.
  5. It may sound like sour grapes on my part and in part it is.  However, I am proud of the decisions I have made over the past 5 years with regard to debt and improving my score.  I have definitely seen my score improve from where it was 5+ years ago.  My frustration more lies with the inconsistencies in the FICO model, or better said the variance in scores between the different FICO scores as well as between different scoring companies. 
  6. Please don't miscontrue that I think I should have a score near or above 800.  I am fully aware that my previous choices have led me to a lower score than my spouse, who for example is over 800.  However, having a score that has flatlined over two years is ridiculous and dropping 25 points because of an "abnormally" large payment is not only mind boggling, but illogical.
Message 22 of 82
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If the scoring system is not a scam, why is it that there is no standardized scoring method, why can lenders choose the lower score or higher score?  How can the same company provide scores, which all can be used, where I have a variance of 50+ points in some cases?  How can scores across scoring companies be vastly different and be used for providing rates (Vantage vs FICO).  Why are outdated scores used when newer, more accurate scores are available?  Just asking questions, as from my viewpoint it seems that lenders are drawn to lower scores in order to increase their profits, rather than "protecting themselves".  FICO enables this action by not clearing outdated scoring and providing the most accurate score to the lender, which should be done so as to ensure an optimal transaction for both parties.

USB is a scam because some people use firewire.  Mac is a scam because some people use PCs. Bananas are a scam, because some people eat oranges.  Sorry for the extreme examples, but I feel like they can best outline issues with arguments. Standardization is not the opposite of a scam. FICO provides multiple options, because different customers have different wants and needs. Companies will choose the scoring model that best serves their business interests. Hence mortgage companies using mortgage scores, and many auto companies use auto scores. 

DCU as an example uses only EX5. (eq5? i always forget which)  Nothing else, for any product. They decided that it gives them a reliable risk factor, and they stick with it.

Older models are not "outdated", they simply provide a different algorithm some people find better or worse.

Message 23 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really think you should reconsider your insistence on the word "scam."  It has led (as I predicted) down a rabbit hole where people are focusing on this part of your original post.  People are reacting to the seeming angry nuttiness in it when we could be focusing on your situation and helping you more.

If the "scam" claim is really important to you to talk about, I suggest we all spend some time getting clear what you mean by the word.  "A company that sells a product that I don't like" is probably too loose of a definition.  I suggested earlier that we reserve the word for Nigerians who try to get you to wire all your money to them and similar sorts of manifest fraud, but you seem to want to use it in some other way.  Help us understand that better and perhaps we can have a meaningful conversation about that part of your post.  I do want to throw out the possibility that no one is behaving fraudulently, there are no back room conspiracies, and that we just interpret FICO at face value: they make scoring algorithms to help their customers (CC issuers and lenders) assess risk in current and potential customers, algorithms that cannot perfectly predict assess risk for each individual case but which do a fairly good job in the main given the data they are given in the report.

Message 24 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also want to reiterate that if you adjust your approach slightly, you can enlist the folks here as allies (rather than opponents).  If we move toward a practical discussion of exactly what is on your reports, the folks here can help you get much higher scores.

That may not be exactly what you want.  But if you can just focus on that aspect of your post (I wish I had better scores, dammit) we can really help you do that.

Message 25 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous
  1. My $2K per month payments are solely to my main CC (Capital One Venture), I typically kept a revolving balance of ~$1.5K which is less than 10% of the card's limit.  I recently was advised to try and keep the balance around $500 to see my score improve.  My recent payment of $3K, which was made late last week, dropped my score with EQ 25 points on Monday of this week which based on info from MyFico, was due to the reduction in my revolving line on that card.  Where as the other two CRA's increased my score by 1 point.
  2. There was a poster(s) that insinuated that I was trying to get back into "debt"and that my score was warranted.  This is simply not the case at all, as stated in my first post, I checked my score because I received a notification about a change.  With the craziness of identity theft I wanted to check in and make sure that nothing was amiss.
  3. While income is not factored into your FICO score, as your income increases typically your lines of credit increase meaning you will have a lower credit utilization, barring an increase in spending.  This is a factor in your score meaning there is typically a correlation to income and FICO score, albeit not direct.  Yes, I understand correlation does not equal causation.
  4. If the scoring system is not a scam, why is it that there is no standardized scoring method, why can lenders choose the lower score or higher score?  How can the same company provide scores, which all can be used, where I have a variance of 50+ points in some cases?  How can scores across scoring companies be vastly different and be used for providing rates (Vantage vs FICO).  Why are outdated scores used when newer, more accurate scores are available?  Just asking questions, as from my viewpoint it seems that lenders are drawn to lower scores in order to increase their profits, rather than "protecting themselves".  FICO enables this action by not clearing outdated scoring and providing the most accurate score to the lender, which should be done so as to ensure an optimal transaction for both parties.
  5. It may sound like sour grapes on my part and in part it is.  However, I am proud of the decisions I have made over the past 5 years with regard to debt and improving my score.  I have definitely seen my score improve from where it was 5+ years ago.  My frustration more lies with the inconsistencies in the FICO model, or better said the variance in scores between the different FICO scores as well as between different scoring companies. 
  6. Please don't miscontrue that I think I should have a score near or above 800.  I am fully aware that my previous choices have led me to a lower score than my spouse, who for example is over 800.  However, having a score that has flatlined over two years is ridiculous and dropping 25 points because of an "abnormally" large payment is not only mind boggling, but illogical.

OP, I think the root cause of you starting this thread is from what you stated in bullet points 1 and 6 above.  I thought someone mentioned this already in this thread, but perhaps not, as it gets mentioned in lots of threads on here every day, but your score did not drop 25 points due to you making a large payment.  While this may seem to be the case, it isn't.  You received an alert due to a balance change and at the time of the alert were provided with a new score.  The score change and the alert reason are unrelated.  Under no circumstance at all is it possible for a score to drop if you pay down a balance on a CC that's in the thousands to a number that's in the hundreds.  It IS possible to see no score change at all (see my Post 6 back on page 1 to understand why) but it is NOT possible to see a score drop.  If the account had a non-zero balance reported and you lower the amount to a lesser non-zero number that then reports, it will never result in a score drop.

I think this concept above is one that you must grasp in order to move forward, as your gripe is over something that didn't happen.  It would be more productive to try and figure out why you lost those 25 points and of course determine how to get them back.

Message 26 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there,

What I mean by "scam" is the scoring model is clearly tailored to maximize profitability for an industry that does not need help with profit maximization.  FICO basically has a monopoly on scoring and there is no other choice.  I can shop rates, but 90% of lenders are going to use FICO scores and they will most times not even tell you which FICO score they are using, either because they do not know or they don't want to tell you.  While FICO is not the true offender of the scam, they enable lenders and to some degree reporting agencies to fix the "game" in their favor. 

Think about it, everyting in the debt game is set against the borrower, do the reporting agencies report good behavior, no, they report bad behavior.  So "good" behavior actually breaks down to not bad behavior, which is not one and the same.  Even when you perform, a "good" action, such as paying off a debt early it is considered a "bad" action.  The reason you will get is because you are closing a line of credit, the true reasoning behind this however is that you removed debt and income from the companies who would have gained from that transaction.  Same reason why maintaining a slight balance on a CC will allow your score to grow faster than paying it off every month in full.  You are taking income out of the hands of the lenders, why should this negative burden for the lender penalize a responsible borrower who is actually performing a more fiscally responsible action?

I get it, life isn't fair, this is the system we have, insert whatever catchy cliched slogan.

I would geneuinely appreciate help here, but I find myself in a discouraging situation and feel as if I am being taken advantage of by a system that is focused more on driving profit ratherly than appropriately rating a borrower, again I am not looking at taking out any debt in the foreseeable futrue.  Maybe my situation is unique or maybe their are others out there in similar situations, that is why I came here, to state my frustrations with a system, get advice and hear about others that are in/were in a similar situation.

Lastly, the individual who gave examples of similar products and not using one or calling it a scam because you don't like it is a terrible analogy and precisely why this is a scam.  In borrowing, I have no choice on the score or scoring company I use outside of shopping loans, but the choice to use one score over another is not an option that will be presented by a lender.

Message 27 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey buddy!  Sounds like I am making more progress in understanding you.

I am going to include your last post below and then give you my thoughts in blue.  I am really glad you arre with us and am responding with the belief and trust that you know I am not arguing with you or otherwise trying to prove you wrong.  Just taking your concerns as given seriously and giving you a response to each one.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey there,

What I mean by "scam" is the scoring model is clearly tailored to maximize profitability for an industry that does not need help with profit maximization.  FICO basically has a monopoly on scoring and there is no other choice.  I can shop rates, but 90% of lenders are going to use FICO scores and they will most times not even tell you which FICO score they are using, either because they do not know or they don't want to tell you.  While FICO is not the true offender of the scam, they enable lenders and to some degree reporting agencies to fix the "game" in their favor. 

You are right that FICO has an effective monopoly in this area and it sucks.  I say that simply because I have a free market orientation and I think defacto monopolies are rarely good..  I would really like to see Vantage become a better scoring model and get better traction amongst lenders.

On the other hand, be careful what you ask for, because at other points in this thread, you have objected to the vast proliferation of scoring models (specifically the many models used by FICO).  If we had more competitors in the scoring world there would be even more scores that might be used.

Think about it, everyting in the debt game is set against the borrower, do the reporting agencies report good behavior, no, they report bad behavior.  So "good" behavior actually breaks down to not bad behavior, which is not one and the same. 

This is not actually true.   In my case my reports consist of a tiny sction devoted to Derogs (so called "negatives").  That tiny section basically says: No negatives.  The rest of my fairly lengthy reports consist of a wide range of accounts in good standing, some of them going back many years, some open, some closed, etc.

So most of my reports consist of the CRA reporting good behavior.

Even when you perform, a "good" action, such as paying off a debt early it is considered a "bad" action. 

Paying off loans early can indeed cause a score dip in some models.  It depends on the scoring model (many are fine with it) and even if the model does care it may actually help your score depending on what your other loans were and how much you owe.  So even with loans a payoff may either have no effect or help.  I acknowledge freely, however, that this is an area that many people make a natural mistake on -- they assume intuitively that paying off a loan would be certain to help their score. 

Paying off CC debt, as BBS has explained, never hurts your score and often helps it, as long as you still have a true credit card reporting a small balance somewhere.

So most intuitively "good" actions (paying down CC debt, etc.) are indeed rewarded inside FICO models, with the corner case of loan payoffs being an exception.

The reason you will get is because you are closing a line of credit, the true reasoning behind this however is that you removed debt and income from the companies who would have gained from that transaction.  Same reason why maintaining a slight balance on a CC will allow your score to grow faster than paying it off every month in full.  You are taking income out of the hands of the lenders, why should this negative burden for the lender penalize a responsible borrower who is actually performing a more fiscally responsible action?

None of this is true, though I can totally see why you might think it is. 

Closing credit cards can lead to a higher CC utilization.  Higher CC utilization has been proven to correlate with higher risk. 

Reporting a small balance on a single card is fully consistent with also paying it off each month.   You can do this without paying a penny of interest to the big banks.  FICO likes to see at least one card reporting a balance because the big three bureaus have had (for almost all of their history) very limited data, and there was no way for FICO to tell whether these cards were being used at all unless one reported a balance.

Again, just learning how the models work and using Ockahm's Razor will prevent a person from postulating an unrealistic conspiracy between FICO and the big banks.  There are far simpler explanations that all have to do with FICO's mission, which is to assess risk based on the limited data it has in the credit report.

I get it, life isn't fair, this is the system we have, insert whatever catchy cliched slogan.

I would geneuinely appreciate help here, but I find myself in a discouraging situation and feel as if I am being taken advantage of by a system that is focused more on driving profit ratherly than appropriately rating a borrower, again I am not looking at taking out any debt in the foreseeable futrue. 

Totally understand your feelings.  It's just that they are based on not fully understanding how things work.  Your scores are limited now because of the past derogs, but they can be improved even given that.  For one thing, the folks here may be able to help you get them removed.  The other is that we can help you better with your credit cards and loans.  There are easy actionable things to do regarding those.

Once you adopt a plan, you can improve your scores and divert your energy toward stuff that makes you happy in life (going for a run, watching a movie, playing with the kids, whatever) rather than in an angry bewilderment against the Man.

Maybe my situation is unique or maybe their are others out there in similar situations, that is why I came here, to state my frustrations with a system, get advice and hear about others that are in/were in a similar situation.

Lastly, the individual who gave examples of similar products and not using one or calling it a scam because you don't like it is a terrible analogy and precisely why this is a scam.  In borrowing, I have no choice on the score or scoring company I use outside of shopping loans, but the choice to use one score over another is not an option that will be presented by a lender.

Message 28 of 82
codefreak13
Regular Contributor

If OP just shares all of their accounts and balances before and after the payment, we'd probably be able to help you pinpoint the actual reason for the decline (which may or may not change your views on Fico scores).

Message 29 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to preface this post with the following:  I made some bad financial choices earlier in life, no bankruptcies, but I did default on a couple of student loans and I got behind paying 2 credit cards and a cable bill that I disputed.  My score hovered around 620-650.  

Fast forward 5+ years, I am making considerably more money, my credit utilization is about 15% and I have not missed a single payment in 5+ years.  I recently made a payment to a card of $3k, bringing the balance down to ~$600, I figured I would check my score to see what effect it had.  Guess what, Equifax score dropped 25 points, Transunion and Experian both went up 1 point.  So you may be thinking, "well that large payment actually hurt your score because it shows inconsistency".   However, I consistenly make $2K payments per month. 

This piqued my interest so I went and looked back at the previous 2 years worth of credit scores (FICO 8), no missed payments, steady salary increases over that time and my score has basically hovered about 5-10 points in the same range. 

Then I checked my FICO 9 score and low and behold every score was higher, ranging from 12 points to 33 points higher.

The conundrum (scam) that is FICO, I make a larger than normal payment and I get penalized, I make consistent payments for 2 years and my score hardly moves.

Am I really being punished for stuff that either has fallen off my credit report (greater than 7 years) or from stuff that falls into the 5+ years but less than 7 years bucket?  

Seems like a credit scoring system should naturally reward people that show a consistent payment pattern, especially over a duration of 5+ years rather than flatlining their score.

I would appreciate some feedback and hopefully advice from people that were/are in a similar situation.  Looking to have my mind changed about FICO, but presently I do not see that happening.

*Score hovers around 700

**Houshold Income $175K+

****DTI Ratio = 33%

I quoted mostly for the highlighted text...

In Europe (and other regions), this would not even be an issue, as most studies (i.e. Erasmus), are paid for.

Off-topic, perhaps, but still. Smiley Sad

Message 30 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.