Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO score drop

tag
Shannon3671
New Contributor

FICO score drop

I'm starting to really get tired of trying to understand FICO scores. Everytime my Transunion sends an alert to MyFICO, they send an alert that the balance on my retail trade accounts have gone down and then subsequently send an alert that my FICO score has dropped anywhere from 2-8 points. These are the only changes and it's everytime the retail balance drops. I can't not pay my monthly bill, but I find it completely rediculous that they are dropping my score for making payments. So frutstrating. I tried calling them to find out why and the very hard to understand representative kept wanting to know what information I was disputing. I kept telling her none of it that I just wanted to know why my score was dropping everytimes the balance went down. All she would give me was that it was computer generated and she'd send me a copy of my report...useless.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO score drop

@Shannon3671 wrote:

I'm starting to really get tired of trying to understand FICO scores. Everytime my Transunion sends an alert to MyFICO, they send an alert that the balance on my retail trade accounts have gone down and then subsequently send an alert that my FICO score has dropped anywhere from 2-8 points. These are the only changes and it's everytime the retail balance drops. I can't not pay my monthly bill, but I find it completely rediculous that they are dropping my score for making payments. So frutstrating. I tried calling them to find out why and the very hard to understand representative kept wanting to know what information I was disputing. I kept telling her none of it that I just wanted to know why my score was dropping everytimes the balance went down. All she would give me was that it was computer generated and she'd send me a copy of my report...useless.

MIne does that too, always 11 points. when infact it hasnt dropped at all. It only does it on TU and only on MyFico. Its not a CRA problem. its a Myfico problem

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are your retail trade accounts reporting a 0 balance? because that could cause it.

quoted from another thread on this site:

crrredit wrote:

I have two CCs reporting and one store card. I let one card report a small balance each month. This month I paid the store card before the statement date so it reported a 0 balance and let a CC report. Got an alert that my TU score dropped 13 points, and the reason why was my total balance for all "retail trades accounts" had changed to 0.

I thought the best thing was to let one card, whether CCs or store cards, report a small balance and have the others at 0.  It is but if your total balances drop to 0 (AT THE CRA) before another card reports its small balance you are going to get the Fico drop as you just did.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

image.pngThis is how MyFico sees my TU score and it only does this when it updates my retail cards. But my actual TU score is whats in my Sig. I have no idea why it only does it on TU. hopefully one day they will fix it. Your score probably hasnt dropped at all.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

what my actual TU score looks like when i pull a report from MyFico, not off the alert, the above one is from the alerts i recieve

image.png

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, haha.

I have a little technical background (and a wild imagination), so it seems to me the myFico may have an API or similar to pull data out of TU, and TU has very verbose logging like, every calculation it makes.  

So if it's thinking like "okay, he has... 600  + 1  + 35  - 20 = 616" and myFico should just grab the result,  but myFico gets every line "Score changed: 601, score changed: 636, score changed 616".   

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, haha.

I have a little technical background (and a wild imagination), so it seems to me the myFico may have an API or similar to pull data out of TU, and TU has very verbose logging like, every calculation it makes.  

So if it's thinking like "okay, he has... 600  + 1  + 35  - 20 = 616" and myFico should just grab the result,  but myFico gets every line "Score changed: 601, score changed: 636, score changed 616".   

your probably right!! when they pull the retail and bank card data. I think mine is because i have a GW at 53% so it's kinda doing what your discribing. Seeing a high UTI on 1 card, then dinging me for it because it's not seeing the overall UTI which is only 3%, but when i pull the report it's factoring in the overall UTI.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Around october is when i bought some furniture too for 18mo intrest free and you can see in november its gone plan bat S crazy LOL

Message 8 of 18
Shannon3671
New Contributor

Thank you all for the reassurance. That's whay I did Harley 14. I bought some furniture at 0% interest for 24 months. Now, evertime I make my payment my TU shows a drop through MyFico. It's bad enough the retailer shows the balance to include all applicable interest that isn't going to be paid, making it higher than it really is overall, but then to think my payments were dropping my score was crazy.

I thought MyFICO was one of the more accurate of the monitoring companies...this makes me wonder if that's the case then with situations like this coming into play.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shannon3671 wrote:

Thank you all for the reassurance. That's whay I did Harley 14. I bought some furniture at 0% interest for 24 months. Now, evertime I make my payment my TU shows a drop through MyFico. It's bad enough the retailer shows the balance to include all applicable interest that isn't going to be paid, making it higher than it really is overall, but then to think my payments were dropping my score was crazy.

I thought MyFICO was one of the more accurate of the monitoring companies...this makes me wonder if that's the case then with situations like this coming into play.

Yea sounds simular. I really just try and use my fico for alerts and when something updates. Plus all the other scores i get on MyFico. TU you will see the core go back up when something else updates. I use CCT for my scores EX everyday and TU and EQ once a month 15 a month. I have them both. Then my barclay, walmart, they keep good track of my tu score. I have them roatated pretty good to where I can see my tu score once a week, EX of coarse everyday because of CCT. EQ is the only odd ball but i can atleast keep track of the alerts here and score changes, and with CCT I get that once a month also.

I try to keep it all covered LOL

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.