Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO vs. CreditKarma

tag
PersonalBanker89
Valued Member

FICO vs. CreditKarma

I ran my credit score today for the first time after recently applying for two credit cards. MyFICO Equifax is 745 and TransUnion 740. I ran my score on CreditKarma which showed 615. Why such a big difference and which should I trust? One of the credit cards I recently recieved came with a slip showing my score as 705.

Regions Bank Prestige (11k) / Fidelity Rewards (9.2k) Chase Freedom (2k) / Navy FCU cashRewards (22k) Discover it (6.4k) / Citi Double Cash (5.4k) / Amex Bluecash (15.7k) / Chase Unlimited (12.5k) / Barclays Rewards (6.4k) / Wells Fargo Cash Wise (10k) = TCL (100.6k)

FICO 8 Scores : EQ 752 / TU 738
AAoA : 4.1 yrs / AoOA : 7.4 yrs / AoYA: 1 yrs
Utilization : 2% / Last Inquiry: July 2017
Goal : Garden to 2020 with 750s
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: FICO vs. CreditKarma

Welcome to the Forums!!!

Credit Karma offers what is known as FAKO scores...not your actual FICO

If you pulled your scores from myFico you saw your true FICO score.

Lenders will also use their own scoring system an internal score such as AMEX and Discover so your scores will not always be exactly the same depending on who is pulling your report.

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 5
PersonalBanker89
Valued Member

Thanks for the welcome! I was just surprised it was over a 100 point difference between the two reports. I recently just applied for two credit cards at right about the same time and received both cards, but only one is showing on the reports. I know it can take a while for some cards to show but I am wondering how this is going to effect my score?

Regions Bank Prestige (11k) / Fidelity Rewards (9.2k) Chase Freedom (2k) / Navy FCU cashRewards (22k) Discover it (6.4k) / Citi Double Cash (5.4k) / Amex Bluecash (15.7k) / Chase Unlimited (12.5k) / Barclays Rewards (6.4k) / Wells Fargo Cash Wise (10k) = TCL (100.6k)

FICO 8 Scores : EQ 752 / TU 738
AAoA : 4.1 yrs / AoOA : 7.4 yrs / AoYA: 1 yrs
Utilization : 2% / Last Inquiry: July 2017
Goal : Garden to 2020 with 750s
Message 3 of 5
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Normally new credit lines will cause a slight decrease in your score. Over time you will get those points back as your accounts age.

*8/10/13
Message 4 of 5
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@PersonalBanker89 wrote:

I ran my credit score today for the first time after recently applying for two credit cards. MyFICO Equifax is 745 and TransUnion 740. I ran my score on CreditKarma which showed 615. Why such a big difference and which should I trust? One of the credit cards I recently recieved came with a slip showing my score as 705.

Credit Karma doesn't include closed trade lines.  You may have a number of closed accounts in good standing that show up on a true FICO-backed report, that impact your score by being on the report.  Closed accounts can stay on your report for 10 (or more) years.  CK doesn't take that into account, only open TL.  Hence, a possible explanation in deviation that great in the score and why most folks use CK only for TRENDS in reports and not for the score. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.