Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO vs. Experian PLUS score?

tag
jru577
New Contributor

FICO vs. Experian PLUS score?

Hi, Prior to joining myFICO, I had used the Experian website to check my scores. Apparently, the scores on Experian are not FICO scores, but are called PLUS scores, and are on a scale up to 830 rather than 850. My EXP score there was 673 a full 40 points above my FICO EXP score of 633. Wondering if the PLUS scores are one of the FAKOs that I've seen floating around the boards? Does this score mean ANYthing? Thanks for your help!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO vs. Experian PLUS score?

Yes, the Plus score is a FAKO.

The only source for purchasing an Experian classic FICO score is MyFico.com.

Message Edited by Revike on 07-03-2007 06:00 AM
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Experian Plus was 670 (FICO Ex 619) and I had 3 Public Records removed and Plus Score stayed at 670 and FICO Ex went to 659.  They are not scored the same at all!
Message 3 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I will add to all this craziness and confusion. My EX FAKO is 756 and my FICO EX 738.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 7
TheConductor
Established Contributor

The silly thing about the PLUS score is that it appears to be close to FICO because it is scored on a very similar scale range to the classic FICO.

But while both the NextGen FICO models and the VantageScore allow scores up to (or even beyond) 900, at least they are scores actually designed to be used by lenders. They're designed to analyze risk in the kinds of ways lenders need to see it analyzed, just like classic FICO scores were.

The PLUS score is not only generally unused by lenders, it was never designed for them.  It was specifically designed as an educational tool.  They made it for us, not for the institutions and people who lend to us.

So that makes for an interesting thought experiment: what does the different behavior of the PLUS scoring model vs FICO say about what they are trying to "teach" us?

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 6 of 7
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

fico experian>experian

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.