Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO vs. REAL

tag
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

FICO vs. REAL

my equifax real score is 628 (FAIR) but my equifax fico score is 521, why such a huge discrepancie, 521 is POOR in FICO scoring right?

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: FICO vs. REAL

Yes, 521 is a poor FICO score.

Each CRA has their own scoring model as does FICO.  They may put less/more weight in certain areas than FICO or vice versa.

Even if you had 3 identical reports across all three CRAs all your FAKO( scores would probably be different.  FICO would because they use a different model across the CRAs.

Message 2 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Where did you pull your scores from?

Making an assumption here, but if you pulled from myFICO, then you have an EQ FICO. It's the score many lenders use, and virtually all mortgage lenders use it. If the other Equifax score was purchased from Equifax.com, then that score is probably a FAKO score (non-FICO). Equifax.com offers both a FICO and a FAKO, but the score they push is a FAKO called an "Equifax Credit Score". This latter score isn't used by any lenders at all because it isn't reliable. 

ETA....I'm a slow typer

Message 3 of 11
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@tonyjones wrote:

my equifax real score is 628 (FAIR) but my equifax fico score is 521, why such a huge discrepancie, 521 is POOR in FICO scoring right?

What do you mean by equifax real score?

IF in fact both are FICO scores and not FAKOS, it could be the difference between Beacon 9.0 and Beacon 5.0.  Depends on the source.  I got both fairly recently  and 9.0 was definitely higher than 5.0 score. 

Message 4 of 11
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

This was pulled by Discover from Equifax, this is Equifax Fico Score, but it can't be right i dunno. MyFICO EQ FICO score from this site is 652........ but the one on paper from discover says its' 521 ;/

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 5 of 11
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@tonyjones wrote:

This was pulled by Discover from Equifax, this is Equifax Fico Score, but it can't be right i dunno. MyFICO EQ FICO score from this site is 652........ but the one on paper from discover says its' 521 ;/

I thought that Discover used an enhanced or internal scoring system....which could be why the difference in score.

Someone else help me out here...is this correct???

*8/10/13
Message 6 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 11
jwrhn

I had the same experience wasted 20 bucks to buy a supposed "real " score here that was 665, applied with Discover ten minutes later and declined due to Equifax score of 615. I know all the folks with a vested interest will jump in here and make excuses but I recently closed on a mortgage refinance and the Equifax scores here were about 10 off from what the lenders gave me...YMMV

Message 8 of 11
tryingforgoals
Valued Member

I'm wondering the same thing, because when Discover pulled my Transunion score it was 611, but on myFICO it says 632? On the top of the paper it says "FICO: 611"

Capital One Secured Card (8/2020):$200 Capital One QuickSilver (1/2022):$900 Chime Credit Builder (9/2020) Capital One SavorOne Student (11/2021): $1,000.00
Starting Score:
TU:569(1/2021) EQ:529 (1/2021) EX:595 (1/2021)
Current Score: TU:626(02/2022)EQ:634(03/2022) EX:635 (03/2022)
Goal Score: TU & EQ: 700+
Message 9 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It is a FICO just a different model of FICO.  Does it give a score range?

myFICO EQ uses Beacon 5.0 which is what most lenders also use.  If the lender used Beacon 5 your scores should have matched.  There is also a newer version, Beacon 9.0 which some lenders do use and your scores could be different.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.