Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest way possible to reach 800 FICO score

tag
folks19
Frequent Contributor

Fastest way possible to reach 800 FICO score

What is the minimum length of time it takes to reach an 800 FICO score when starting to build credit from scratch? What steps should someone take to reach an 800 score when first starting out?

For the purpose of this question, I'm assuming that the only goal is to reach an 800 score, even though in real life it's better to focus on your needs instead of on your score.

(Also note that you don't need an 800 score to qualify for a loan or get the lowest rates. A 760 FICO score is enough to get approved for any loan with the lowest rates, but there are other factors besides your score that are considered.)

12 REPLIES 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Fastest way possible to reach 800 FICO score

Just on 2 factors. Most people with 800+ scores. They have accounts open 20+ yrs and AAoA's is 11yrs plus. The 2 that stick out. YMMV.

Message 2 of 13
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Just on 2 factors. Most people with 800+ scores. They have accounts open 20+ yrs and AAoA's is 11yrs plus. The 2 that stick out. YMMV.

This was not my question. The question was what is shortest time possible that one can reach 800 from scratch. The question WAS NOT waht to do to reach 800.

Message 3 of 13
stw715
Regular Contributor

I was able to cross over into 800s from TU FICO 8 in 07/2020, oldest account was right at 6 years (opened in 07/2014) and AAoA was around 4 years 3 months, EX followed two months later, don't have way to track EQ for free so don't know exactly when it crossed but EQ FICO 9 was over 800 at least year prior. At that time 07/2020 I have two new revolvers at 11 months old and one auto loan at 23 months old, no mortgage open or closed, no baddies of course.

-

-

7A3AEAA5-B34E-411F-89D5-7A0D0E8D453F.png6928AC72-1390-4B69-9E60-658E58A722A8.png-

23C3DBCE-0466-40E4-AD33-B2542EAC2436.png

-

-

Current credit age for referencing...

-

0890141A-352B-4F00-BCCE-33C91E6EA36F.png

Message 4 of 13
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Don't have exact times, however both my daughters from first CC to known 800+ scores were about 6 years.

My youngest has 2 cards, AU on a couple of mine (4-5 year age), and her own oldest CC (7 years). (835 Fico)

It just happened with time, a couple of cards, no loans, etc.   Hope the data points helps some. 

Message 5 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It takes yrs as you can see so far. 760 is just as good as 800. We're all like fingerprints. No one matches. Some get there faster than others. Some slower. Caps is not needed BTW. Have a great day!

Message 6 of 13
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

@folks19 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

This was not my question. The question was what is shortest time possible that one can reach 800 from scratch. The question WAS NOT waht to do to reach 800.

You want to rephrase your tone here, as @FireMedic1 was given out great advice...others may see this post and get something out of as well

Message 7 of 13
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@AzCreditGuy wrote:

@folks19 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

You want to rephrase your tone here, as @FireMedic1 was given out great advice...others may see this post and get something out of as well

@AzCreditGuy I agree that the infro from @FireMedic1 is useful, but I was just clarifying what I meant to ask as this didn't address the question. I am sorry for the tone though. I really didn't mean it in that way, lol.

I asked this because my freind just hit a little over 800 a few days ago with less than 3.5 years of credit history. (Her oldest account opened less than 3.5 months ago and no AU.) She showed me her scores on the Experian app. Did anyone here reach 800 in such a short amout of tiem?

Message 8 of 13
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

@folks19 wrote:

@AzCreditGuy wrote:

@folks19 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@AzCreditGuy I agree that the infro from @FireMedic1 is useful, but I was just clarifying what I meant to ask as this didn't address the question. I am sorry for the tone though. I really didn't mean it in that way, lol.

I asked this because my freind just hit a little over 800 a few days ago with less than 3.5 years of credit history. (Her oldest account opened less than 3.5 months ago and no AU.) She showed me her scores on the Experian app. Did anyone here reach 800 in such a short amout of tiem?

I rebuilt my credit within 2 years and it was down to 690 as I got closer to paying off the debt, I hit 815ish across all 3 and went down to high 780s when I paid my loan off. It can be done within 2 years but if one decides to be out of debt, FICO will penalize you. I dont care about the 800 score anymore, I am out of debt and thats all that matters...

Message 9 of 13
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.