Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico 9 help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fico 9 help

As expected, my scores vary greatly by model. My Fico 9 scores really need a boost. I’ve read a lot and see that in this version, paid collections will essentially be ignored. I have 2 unpaid collections within the last 2 years, both greater than $300. So, am I correct that paying these in full would boost my Fico 9? Has anyone had first hand experience with this? I will pay them anyway as soon as possible because I owe them, but I’d like to hear from someone who has seen a nice increase. Again, I’m specifically asking about Fico 9. Thanks!!
6 REPLIES 6
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Fico 9 help

I know you requested first-hand experience only, which is why I didn't reply sooner - but since I see you still have not received a response, im going to offer my 2cents:

Yes, FICO 9 ignores paid collections. From what I've seen from those in this forum that have posted data points of their profiles consisting of one or more paid collections, the FICO 9 scores have been significantly and consistently higher than FICO 8s.

While my assumption would be that your FICO 9s would benefit from paying your collections, I hope someone with first-hand experience will come along and share that with you - but, in the meantime, here's a post from someone that paid their last 2 collections and subsequently received a big increase in FICO 9:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Fico-9-SUCCESS/m-p/5123571

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

While it is absolutely true that FICO 9 discounts paid collections, I would note it still isn’t very prevalent in the current credit market.

I would still chase deletion rather paying them without that.

        
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for the replies. I’ve seen conflicting info on the score version NFCU pulls. However, it seems the latest consensus is that they pull Fico 9. This is where my main interest in this score comes into play. Hoping to get an auto refi through them in the near future. Thanks again!
Message 4 of 7
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you both for the replies. I’ve seen conflicting info on the score version NFCU pulls. However, it seems the latest consensus is that they pull Fico 9. This is where my main interest in this score comes into play. Hoping to get an auto refi through them in the near future. Thanks again!

Yes..  NFCU pulls FICO 9.  But they also rely heavily on relationship so if you haven't already begun building one with them, you should start now (a desposit account would suffice).   

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 5 of 7
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes..  NFCU pulls FICO 9.  But they also rely heavily on relationship so if you haven't already begun building one with them, you should start now (a desposit account would suffice).   

^^^ This.

My fico9 is much lower than my 8.

Navy Fed has granted me $43k in unsecured CLs so far in less than a year.

My last fico9 was only 686.

It is ALL about building relationships with NFCU.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

All great advice.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.