Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico Score Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fico Score Help

I refinanced my mortgage which was completed 12/2021. After that was done I paid off my car loan. I also was pre-approved for a 2nd mortgage all in that time frame. Problem now is my fico's went from 810+ to 720-740. I have no other debt. Credit cards are reporting at 1%. No negatives at all. Hard pulls are from July-October (all mortgage related), all others over 2 yrs old. What time frame am I looking at it get back to 800 (or at least over 740 again)? I found the property I want to get but my drastic score change is going to be an issue and I have  no time in today's market to flounder around. 

12 REPLIES 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Fico Score Help

@Anonymous wrote:

I refinanced my mortgage which was completed 12/2021. After that was done I paid off my car loan. I also was pre-approved for a 2nd mortgage all in that time frame. Problem now is my fico's went from 810+ to 720-740. I have no other debt. Credit cards are reporting at 1%. No negatives at all. Hard pulls are from July-October (all mortgage related), all others over 2 yrs old. What time frame am I looking at it get back to 800 (or at least over 740 again)? I found the property I want to get but my drastic score change is going to be an issue and I have  no time in today's market to flounder around. 

If you were looking to get a new mortgage, and your FICO's were 810+, you ought not to have messed around with your profile.

Here's my advice:

1. Get a full 3B report from MyFICO so you can assess exactly where your mortgage scores are. They might not be as bad as you think, because FICO 8 scores are much more sensitive than the mortgage scores to changes in installment loan utilization, which is one of the factors you ruined (the other ones being inquiries and new accounts).

2. Don't take the 2nd mortgage.

3. Maintain your revolving accounts so that one bank card reports a small balance each month while all your other revolving accounts report zero balances.

4. Don't do anything that could trigger a hard pull.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

Has the refinanced mortgage reported yet? Did the previous mortgage stop reporting?

It seems odd that scores would drop that much just for installment / mortgage changes?

Did you talk with a banker to see whether this is affecting scores you would need for your planned purchase?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You refinanced your mortgage. Paid off a car loan. And lost 90 points? Something isnt adding up. Unless I'm missing something here. Or missed-read it. Have you pulled your free reports from annual credit reports lately. That sounds like a neg hit your reports. I've read your post 10x's. Two moves and a hit of that magnitude?

Message 4 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You refinanced your mortgage. Paid off a car loan. And lost 90 points? Something isnt adding up. Unless I'm missing something here. Or missed-read it. Have you pulled your free reports from annual credit reports lately. That sounds like a neg hit your reports. I've read your post 10x's. Two moves and a hit of that magnitude?

I agree with you that the post doesn't add up, but it is very vague as to many things, including what scores the OP is talking about.  Until we get more information we're not going to be able to solve OP's problem.

Message 5 of 13
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

I'm with the others saying something doesn't seem to be aligning properly. I paid off my mortgage and auto loan last summer - my only installment loans at the time - and took out a new auto loan the next month. I also opened a couple new credit cards and had my credit pulled a couple times for auto loan preapprovals. My scores dropped a max of ~45 points [FICO 8] with all of that included.

Losing 90 points for fewer changes seems rather extreme and I'd be taking a long, careful look at my reports to see what exactly is going on if I were in OP's shoes.

Edited to add: I just checked my mortgage scores and they are 801, 795, and 795 - it's funny, my mortgage scores and FICO 8 are all within 10-15 points of each other. I don't know if I've ever noticed that before

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is why I am also confused. I have gone through the reports. Nothing has been added negative and there won't be because there isn't anything. The new mortgage is not reporting yet. The car loan paid off is. Everything has remained steady. The second mortgage is not going to change. I am looking for a larger property and have to be ready to pounce when it is listed. I just missed one I wanted because my realtor was busy and didn't get on it for a couple of days. I have not spoken to my lender to see how the change will affect things, but I assume it will be in the interest department. I have an account with Fico here to check all scores. Not talking about Vantage.

Message 7 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That is why I am also confused. I have gone through the reports. Nothing has been added negative and there won't be because there isn't anything. The new mortgage is not reporting yet. The car loan paid off is. Everything has remained steady. The second mortgage is not going to change. I am looking for a larger property and have to be ready to pounce when it is listed. I just missed one I wanted because my realtor was busy and didn't get on it for a couple of days. I have not spoken to my lender to see how the change will affect things, but I assume it will be in the interest department. I have an account with Fico here to check all scores. Not talking about Vantage.

Please pull your current 3B report and your previous 3B report, and advise as to the changes if any in (a) your mortgage scores, and (b) your reported data.

With that information we can give you a coherent answer to your question, and give you advice as to how to improve your mortgage scores if they need improvement.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU 812, EX 813, EQ 809  Says new inquiry added to account (mortgage shopping). TU score decrease 58 points to 754. Others follow suit. Account balance decreased by $784 (I pay off all accounts every month for no interest which that reflected. One card always reports at 1%). Scores continue down. Only activity says score decreases. No associated reason for decreases. No late payments. No collections. No high utilization. No changes aside from what I already stated: car loan 1 yr 10 months paid in full. House refinanced. Pre approval for 2nd mortgage. 

Message 9 of 13
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Am I reading it correctly that you've got no installment loan reporting? Could credit mix be playing into this?

What is surprising is that our scores were very similar and my scores were impacted FAR less for PIF mortgage and auto loan. How thick is your file and roughly what is AAoA, if you don't mind me asking? Also, if you have have access to them, how significantly were your mortgage scores impacted?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.